DON'T Eat That!

I thought I would write a post about foods that I think people should cut back on or completely eliminate from their diet. These foods are known to contribute to cancer, and all kinds of other diseases and health problems! They're all also low in fiber, low in nutrients, and high in empty calories! NOT good. Of course, occasional treats with these foods are fine in my opinion, but for the sake of your health, you should NOT be eating these foods every day. And the sad thing is, most Americans are!

Foods you should stop eating:
-All white flour products-breads, bagels,etc.
-Processed meats, such as bacon, sausage, hotdogs, deli meat, etc.(nitrates cause cancer!)
-Canned soups, frozen dinners(too much sodium and MSG-BAD)
-Milk(I choose not to drink cow's milk any longer because of all the hormones they give to the cows)
-Margarine(it has trans fat, the worst kind of fat there is!!)
-Soda AND diet soda(sugar, high fructose corn syrup, aspartame-all cause weight gain, diabetes, and other diseases)

If you want to be as healthy as you can be and not become a statistic, then start making slow changes to eliminate these foods from your diet. You don't have to do it all at once. I used to eat ALL of those things, even when I thought I was eating healthy! Now, I eat them very rarely. All it takes is switching from processed meats to fresh, organic meats, eating whole grains like oats and brown rice instead of breads and cereals, and filling up on lots of vegetables, fresh fruits, and healthy fats like nuts.

It's NOT hard if you make small changes here and there. I did it, and anyone can do it! Now I make my own soups, I cook fresh instead of packaged meat, and I snack on almonds and fruit. All it takes is just a little more planning. Prepare your food in advance-plan out your meals, cook your meats, chop up veggies and put them in containers in the fridge. It will make your life so much easier, and anyways, it's worth the extra time and effort to look and feel your best!

So since I like to get people to focus on foods they CAN eat instead of just what they can't, here are some of the healthiest foods that should definitely be included in your diet on a regular basis:

-Sweet pototoes
-Whole eggs
-Broccoli
-Raw Almonds/walnuts
-Spinach and kale (I need to work on this!!)
-Old fashioned or steel cut oats
-Berries
-Fish
-Tomatoes
-Chicken/turkey breast

Also, there are some things that you should try to buy organic as much as possible. Certain fruits and vegetables(peaches, apples, pears, strawberries, celery, spinach, green peppers, potatoes), are high in pesticides, and should always be bought organic. Another thing you should buy organic is meat, eggs and milk(pretty much all animal products!), because of all the antibiotics and growth hormones they give to the animals, which is not good for us to consume.

I do not buy ALL organic food, but I have been buying more lately because of what I've learned about all the pesticides and hormones and chemicals that that are in so much of the foods we eat. I just can't eat a regular apple now without thinking about all the pesticides I'm eating. I don't want that stuff in my body!

But like I always say, I do NOT eat perfect, all natural, 100% organic. You have to find the balance. I'm not afraid to have a treat here and there, and I'm not at all afraid to pig out on my favorite "bad" foods every now and then! If you read my blog, you know I love my cheat meals! The key is just not to eat them on a regular, day to day basis. I don't restrict myself, but when it comes down to it, I would much rather eat healthy foods because of the way they make me look and feel! Find what works for you.

Click here for a printable list of fruits and veggies you should always try to buy organic:
http://img.webmd.com/dtmcms/live/webmd/consumer_assets/site_images/media/pdf/health_tips/spending_organic_food_dollars_wisely.pdf

Comments

  1. I am glad I read this! Thanks for the info. I need to change my diet up and this is going to help a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I could help! Good luck w/ your healthier eating!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Words I Never Thought I'd Hear

One Day at a Time

Weekend Recap & MRI Results