Skip to main content

How Things Change...

 You know, I think God really does know what he's doing.

When Matt and I got married, neither of us really wanted or didn't want children. It was something I kept an open mind to, but as the years went on, the desire to have a child never came. Matt never expressed the desire to have one, either, and we just enjoyed our life together as it was. But the weird thing was that while I never felt that urge to have a baby of my own, I remember at certain moments, picturing a future with kids, having holiday celebrations and watching them play sports. I just remember thinking, "well, how is that going to be a thing if I never have the desire to actually get pregnant?"

Fast forward years later...and here I am. Not technically a stepmom, but I have three little kiddos now in my life who I love and care for. Who would've thought? Sometimes it is still all bizarre to me that I'm here now, living this life that is SOOO entirely different from the one I had and thought I would have in the future. I am not gonna lie, it still messes with my head sometimes. It's good and I love those kids, but it is just so different and more stressful. And yes, there are times I miss my "old" life with Matt, but it would also break my heart to not have those kids in my life! 

Being in that "stepmom" role is hard, though. I don't want to be overbearing or overstep my boundaries with them. I want them to respect me, but also don't want to be the "evil" stepmom type either. I don't want them to resent or hate me! So far everything has gone well with them from the beginning... and they seem to like me, ha! Landon and Ava(the two youngest) just started playing sports, and we took them to practice last weekend. I had so much fun watching and encouraging them, and I could tell that Landon especially was so happy that I could be there. He kept looking out at the stands for me and would smile and wave. Then he woke up one night a few times in the middle of the night, scared because his oldest brother was at a sleepover, and he was in his room alone. I heard him call out for me, and I went and laid with him until he fell back to sleep. 

It's the little things like that, when Liam hugs me before he leaves to go back to his mom's, or Ava asks me to do her makeup or braid her hair, that make me feel like I am doing something right and that they do enjoy having me in their lives. I could never have imagined I would go from no kids to THREE...but so far it has been great. I'm not gonna lie, it is chaotic and stressful and loud when they are at the house, but I really love doing fun things with them and just hope to be a positive influence and offer some stability to their lives. 

When I was at the ball fields watching them play, I couldn't help but think back to the images I used to have in my head of just that. Crazy how we can think we know how our lives will play out, but really, we have NO idea what could happen. That's why all we can really do is live in the moment. It's all we have, and I will keep saying that over and over again. Don't take anything for granted! 

I know this isn't going to be easy. My stress free days are gone. I just keep praying that God will work something good from this whole thing-I desperately need to see it.  I don't believe that "everything happens for a reason", but I do cling to the hope that God DOES work things out for the good of those who love Him, that He can make broken things beautiful and use our stories to bring glory to Him. I'm still struggling and adjusting to this life and to this new person that I am, but I know that in time I'll get there. I have to give myself time to grieve, to heal, to adjust to this new person I am and not get inpatient with myself about being back to "normal"!


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

Why?

Why? Why do I care so much?  Why do I make sure they brush their teeth at night so that they don't get cavities? Why do I spend my own money to buy them clothes, toys and decorate their rooms, among other things?  Why do I do 5,000 loads of laundry a week to make sure they have clothes to wear to school? Why do I make sure they go to church on Sundays so that they'll be raised to know about Jesus? Why do I try to give them chores and responsibilities so that they will turn out to be decent human beings? Why do I read them a bedtime story at night, even when I'm exhausted? Why do I clean up after them constantly and cook for them and try to always have healthy snacks and food on hand? Why do I go to their sports games and practices, just to feel like the odd man out standing there awkwardly with their bio mom? Why do I give 100% of myself and make so many sacrifices for children I didn't birth? Only to be insulted and told hurtful things? To be made to feel like I'm