Skip to main content

To The Next Man Who Loves Me

Just some thoughts for the next man who loves me....

It will take a very special and strong, confident, patient, and understanding person to be with me.

I know it may be strange, loving someone who also loves another man...and always will love another man. But that's the way it has to be, and you have to accept it.

A part of my heart will always ache for and miss my husband. But that doesn't mean that I can't love you, too. You have to be confident in that. Still loving him doesn't mean that I can't love you.

I will have times when I get emotional or when a grief waves hit me, and I need you to be there for me through it, not get scared or pull away. That's when I need to you to listen and let me cry it out, not try to "fix" me or make it go away. Just hold me and let me feel what I feel.

Things will remind me of him, at random times, and I might space out or get "weird" out of the blue. That's when I need you to just take my hand and wait for it to pass, or let me walk away and have my space for a second.

I need to feel like I can talk about him, and I want to be able to talk about him around you.

He will always be a part of my life, and I will never pretend as if he didn't exist. He is as much a part of me as anything in my life that has shaped me and made me who I am today, the person you love.  I don't want to erase him from my past or pretend like he didn't exist. I won't do that. If you can't deal with that, you can't be in my life.

Be patient with me. I may need to take things slow. I may freak out if things move too fast, because I have so many conflicting emotions, because this wasn't supposed to be my life. While I do want to move forward and love again, the thought of letting myself be happy again or get comfortable with someone is terrifying, because there's a chance I could lose it all again.

You are not competing with him. I do not compare you to him. Yes, what we had was amazing and so special, but you are different, and I love you for you. This is a new chapter for me. I am not trying to replace him, because no one ever could.

I have so much love in my heart to give, and going through what I went through only makes me more appreciative, more grateful of life and love and joy and the simple things that bring happiness in life. When you bring me those moments of happiness, I don't take it for granted. I feel it so much more and soak it in... because there was a time when I thought I would never feel that again.


Comments

  1. There's a great quote from the show Designing Women where one of the main characters is talking to her friend's love interest about his guilt over losing his wife. She tells him that when she started to fall for another man she felt guilty but it was the man she was falling for her told her,"You keep all the pictures and memories of your husband that you want because I don't think I could fall in love with a woman who stopped loving her husband just because he died." In my mind I take that to mean that love lives on! That no matter where our loved ones are we still love them and they still love us. Matt loves you so much Lindsay. That's why he would want you to be happy and any man who would,or could,expect you to forget Matt after all the years of love and companionship you've shared is not worth your time! I hope this doesn't offend you but I think that's 100% accurate. Love doesn't die just because someone is no longer with us. Love lives. It changes and if a person expects you to forget the life you created with Matt,if a man expects you to give that us,and just move on they don't deserve you. Matt has a piece of your heart,and soul,and you have a piece of his. It lives on with you and no one who truly loves you should expect you to give that up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

Why?

Why? Why do I care so much?  Why do I make sure they brush their teeth at night so that they don't get cavities? Why do I spend my own money to buy them clothes, toys and decorate their rooms, among other things?  Why do I do 5,000 loads of laundry a week to make sure they have clothes to wear to school? Why do I make sure they go to church on Sundays so that they'll be raised to know about Jesus? Why do I try to give them chores and responsibilities so that they will turn out to be decent human beings? Why do I read them a bedtime story at night, even when I'm exhausted? Why do I clean up after them constantly and cook for them and try to always have healthy snacks and food on hand? Why do I go to their sports games and practices, just to feel like the odd man out standing there awkwardly with their bio mom? Why do I give 100% of myself and make so many sacrifices for children I didn't birth? Only to be insulted and told hurtful things? To be made to feel like I'm