Skip to main content

Friendships

Hi to the five people who still read blogs! I know this isn't really a popular platform these days, so I write here mostly as a way to just keep record of my thoughts through the years. As I've said before, it's sort of like an online diary for me. 

Friendships have been on my mind lately. I've recently just felt really hurt, confused, left out and excluded. I try to put on this "hard" exterior, like nothing bothers me, but deep down, it really does. 

I've come to realize that I really struggle with friendships. I struggle with wanting friends, with wanting to feel included and part of a group, but at the same time, struggling with the energy and effort it takes to maintain those friendships-with doing all the "right" things to be someone people would want to be friends with. I know that it's me; I know I'm different. I'm not the most social, I'm not the most talkative, I'm not the most emotional. I'm not super funny or witty or loud and outgoing. I struggle with getting out of my own head to focus on others and to keep up with things going on in their lives. 

I struggle with knowing what to say, or what questions to ask. I struggle with making connections and with being myself, thinking I sound stupid or just don't know what to say. I am often super self conscious and socially awkward when I meet people, so I tend to just stay quiet... and then I come off as stand-offish and disinterested. Not really a great first impression. I feel like I'm nice and friendly...I just don't really talk unless spoken to. 

I struggle with being the one to reach out, because I don't want the other person to feel "obligated" to hang out or talk to me if they really don't want to. I struggle with feeling like I just don't fit in, or that people don't like me. It takes me YEARS to feel comfortable around someone and truly feel like I can be myself.

I have this fear of rejection and abandonment for some reason...so it's hard for me to let people in and to be vulnerable. That's why for the most part I tend to just stay to myself. That way, I can't get hurt or rejected. I know it's some kind of defense mechanism, but I don't know why I'm like this! I didn't have anything crazy or traumatic happen in my childhood. I was just always SUPER shy. I've grown out of it a LOT, but it's still there, and I think people who AREN'T shy could never understand it. They don't understand the thought processes that go on inside our brains when we have conversations. It's not just like, talking to someone-we're thinking about our facial expressions and where to look and what to say-it just doesn't come naturally and is very draining. I used to try to explain it to Matt, and he just couldn't get it. He was just a naturally open, friendly, outgoing, NOT shy person who couldn't comprehend what was so hard about just simply having a conversation with someone. 


Now, don't get me wrong, when I am comfortable with someone, or when it's a subject that I'm passionate about, I can talk someone's face off! I think Damon would agree, ha! It's just us introverts/shy people are horrible at small talk and being in a group of people. 

It just hurts to feel unwanted, and that's how I've felt lately... Buuut that's enough of this pity party. I'll be fine, just as I always am. I've learned how to be happy with minimal, if any friends, in my life. 

Comments

  1. Six! I'm still a fan...five years and counting ~Jefferson

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S....and I still mix chocolate protein powder and peanut butter to make sludge!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea

Why?

Why? Why do I care so much?  Why do I make sure they brush their teeth at night so that they don't get cavities? Why do I spend my own money to buy them clothes, toys and decorate their rooms, among other things?  Why do I do 5,000 loads of laundry a week to make sure they have clothes to wear to school? Why do I make sure they go to church on Sundays so that they'll be raised to know about Jesus? Why do I try to give them chores and responsibilities so that they will turn out to be decent human beings? Why do I read them a bedtime story at night, even when I'm exhausted? Why do I clean up after them constantly and cook for them and try to always have healthy snacks and food on hand? Why do I go to their sports games and practices, just to feel like the odd man out standing there awkwardly with their bio mom? Why do I give 100% of myself and make so many sacrifices for children I didn't birth? Only to be insulted and told hurtful things? To be made to feel like I'm