Skip to main content

Gatlinburg-A Trip to Remember?!

We got back yesterday from our weekend trip to Gatlinburg and, well, it was an interesting trip to say the least...we definitely won't forget it, that's for sure! It ended up not really being the most relaxing trip ever...not so much what I had envisioned for our weekend getaway in the mountains!


So it started out with us having car trouble with both of our vehicles. We had planned on taking my car on the trip, but it started having problems the day before we left and then the check engine light came on, so we ended up having to drive my husband's jeep.




Well, then the jeep started acting funny on the way there, and the check engine light came on about an hour into the drive! So we ended up sitting at an auto shop for a couple of hours on the trip down to Gatlinburg. Not really a good start to the trip!



But we finally made it to there, and our cabin was super cute and had a really great view. It was a little cold and rainy-so much for the sunshine I was hoping for. Anyway, we had a nice dinner Friday night at Alamo steakhouse(BUT they didn't have our reservations for private dining that we had made, just to add to the list of things that went wrong!), and then we came back to the cabin and thought we'd start a fire in the fireplace.



Well, us "city" people had the hardest time getting the dang fire started! After numerous attempts, I finally got one going. Good thing I grew up with a wood burning fireplace and remembered a little of how my dad used to get the fire going. But...it only lasted about 15 minutes, and then I just gave up on trying to keep it going. So much for that!



Then we spent some time in the hot tub out on the deck, which was nice. The cold weather was perfect hot tub weather, and luckily the rain held off for a little while so we didn't get poured on.



So THEN... the main catastrophe of the whole trip(without going into details), we stayed one night in the cabin and then ended up having to pack everything up and find a hotel to stay at for our second night. A hotel room was not exactly what I had envisioned for our "mountain getaway", but oh well...I was determined to make the best of it anyway.



It was cold and cloudy again Saturday, but at least the rain held off until later in the day. We spent the day walking around downtown Gatlinburg, then rode the sky lift up to Ober, which had some amazing views, and then last we went to Ripley's aquarium.




Sunday was another cold and rainy day. We had planned on taking a hike, but because it was drizzling and so cold, we just decided to take a drive though the Smokies instead, on the Roaring Fork Motor Trail.



Because of the rain it was super foggy, so we couldn't really see any good views, but it was still a nice drive. But of course, we somehow ended up missing the cascade at the end of the drive that I was really wanting to see! But at least we stopped off and got some pics at a pretty stream. :)



The trip wasn't completely horrible; we did do some fun things, but it was more stressful than it was relaxing. Mostly, I was just disappointed that we didn't get to stay in our cabin-that was what I was most looking forward to!




I've decided that from here on out, our vacations will only be to the beach. You just can't go wrong with a beach vacation. There's nothing more relaxing than laying on the sand and soaking up the sun, with the sound of the waves crashing in the background....oh well, maybe next year!





So anyway, I'm still recovering from all the bad food I ate over the weekend. I mean, I really ate like crap, and I feel like crap today. And I haven't worked out in 3 days, which is the longest I've went without working out in a LONG time! I can't wait to get back on track with my workouts and clean eating!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

Why?

Why? Why do I care so much?  Why do I make sure they brush their teeth at night so that they don't get cavities? Why do I spend my own money to buy them clothes, toys and decorate their rooms, among other things?  Why do I do 5,000 loads of laundry a week to make sure they have clothes to wear to school? Why do I make sure they go to church on Sundays so that they'll be raised to know about Jesus? Why do I try to give them chores and responsibilities so that they will turn out to be decent human beings? Why do I read them a bedtime story at night, even when I'm exhausted? Why do I clean up after them constantly and cook for them and try to always have healthy snacks and food on hand? Why do I go to their sports games and practices, just to feel like the odd man out standing there awkwardly with their bio mom? Why do I give 100% of myself and make so many sacrifices for children I didn't birth? Only to be insulted and told hurtful things? To be made to feel like I'm