Skip to main content

Take It Up a Notch!

 The reason most people stop exercising after a couple of months after the new year(or anytime, really), is because they eventually reach a point when they stop seeing results.  


This is most likely because they have continued doing the same thing as when they first started, without ever changing it up or making it more challenging. Our bodies are very smart machines. When they get used to doing the same thing over and over, they eventually adapt to it and no longer have to work as hard to do it. Therefore, you don't burn as many calories doing that same activity.

What may have challenged you in the beginning is not going to remain challenging as your body gets stronger and more conditioned. If you started out walking every day for 30 minutes, eventually that is not going to be a challenging enough stimulus for your body to produce results.
   
What most people fail to do in their exercise program is to continually make it harder, to make sure that their body is staying challenged. It's about constant, neverending improvement and progress-you can't just do the same thing over and over for months on end.
 
When you’ve stopped seeing results, it means that it’s time to up the intensity. Here are some simple ways you can do that:
   
*If you've been walking on the treadmill, start walking on an incline-and NO holding on to the rails!!

*If you've been walking on an incline, try adding in some jogging intervals-jog for 20-30 seconds, walk for 30-60 seconds, and repeat for 15 minutes.

*If you’ve only been doing one or 2 sets of all your exercises, add in another set

*Lift heavier-get out of the 12-15 rep zone, and start doing 8-10 reps with a heavier weight

*Increase you weights if you’re doing more than 12 reps on an exercise

*Try to beat last week’s reps-if you did 8 reps on an exercise, try to get 9 next time, or do an extra set with the same weight and reps

*Do harder exercises-instead of bicep curls and tricep kickbacks, try overhead presses, pushups, and back squats with weight

*If you've been resting between every exercise for all your sets, try supersets. Pick 2 exercises for opposite muscle groups and perform them back to back with no rest.


Your workouts should never be easy!  Find ways to make them harder and keep trying to challenge yourself! As you continue to get fitter and stronger, the physical results will come, as long as your nutrition is on track as well!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

Why?

Why? Why do I care so much?  Why do I make sure they brush their teeth at night so that they don't get cavities? Why do I spend my own money to buy them clothes, toys and decorate their rooms, among other things?  Why do I do 5,000 loads of laundry a week to make sure they have clothes to wear to school? Why do I make sure they go to church on Sundays so that they'll be raised to know about Jesus? Why do I try to give them chores and responsibilities so that they will turn out to be decent human beings? Why do I read them a bedtime story at night, even when I'm exhausted? Why do I clean up after them constantly and cook for them and try to always have healthy snacks and food on hand? Why do I go to their sports games and practices, just to feel like the odd man out standing there awkwardly with their bio mom? Why do I give 100% of myself and make so many sacrifices for children I didn't birth? Only to be insulted and told hurtful things? To be made to feel like I'm