Skip to main content

Low Reps Or High Reps?

I believe that reason many people eventually plateau in their training is because they fail to provide their bodies with a continuous challenge. They stick with the same weights, the same exercises, and the same rep ranges for months on end and then eventually give up because they aren't getting results.

One thing I have found is that most women tend get stuck in the 15 rep zone, even women who have been training for quite some time. I've always wondered, why 15 reps? Is that the magic number of reps that will get you "toned" and not bulky? Well, no, but many women seem to think so!

I think another reason is that because they feel their muscles "burning", they think that they are challenging them enough. But just because you feel a burn, doesn't necessarily mean that you are challenging the muscles enough to cause them to respond. Yes, high reps will cause the muscles to burn, but all that burning sensation  is telling you is that lactic acid is building up in the muscle. The "burn" does not cause your muscles to grow stronger or bigger, nor does it mean that you are burning fat!!


If you've been training for a while and are no longer seeing results, it may be time to get out of the 12-15 rep zone.  Muscles respond to progressive overload, which just means that as your muscles get stronger, you need to challenge them with progressively heavier weights.The key to transforming your physique and losing fat is to build muscle, and the way to build muscle is by continually striving to get stronger over time.

So what's best? High reps or low reps? Well, I think a mix of both is best. I'm definitely not saying that you should never "feel the burn", but just that you should make sure to include some heavier sets with lower reps into your training as well. When you lift heavy for lower reps(less than 6), you may not even feel a burn. Instead, your muscles will most likely fatigue before you get to that point. Does that mean you didn't work the muscles hard enough? NOT at all!

I have done both and I definitely enjoy lower reps the best. I like to keep the majority of my lifting in the 5-10 rep range(sometimes as low as 3) for a mix of both strength and hypertrophy. BUT I do like mixing in some higher rep sets in at the end of my workouts as well. I usually do my heavy, low rep stuff first in the workout and then throw in some higher rep isolation exercises at the end, just to get a good "pump" to satisfy the bodybuilder in me! ;)

If you are going to use heavier weights, make sure to progress up to those weights and of course, make sure your form is good. Also, it is important to do what you enjoy. If you love doing lots of reps and are getting results, then by all means continue doing so! But if you aren't seeing results or you're just getting bored with your training, give heavier lifting a try.

I think that by changing things up, increasing your weights and lowering your reps, you will see some amazing changes to your physique as a result, AND get stronger, which is an awesome feeling that every woman should experience!

Comments

  1. Hey, I am a new follower. You have a great blog. I like this post. My workouts very between low and high reps. Recently, for some reason I've been staying in the 8-10 rep range and then maybe at the last set I will try to add a few more reps in there if I can. For the most I like to switch it up every so often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! Thank you! I think it is good to mix it up, continue challenging yourself. It's good to go through 4-6 week phases where you use heavier weights and lower reps for a while, then lighter weights with higher reps. Sounds like you're on the right track!

      Delete
  2. Hell yeah to low reps!!! I do low reps (less than five) for all the main lifts and then increase to 8-12 for my accessory exercises. I wasted so much time of my life doing 12-15 reps! Doing the occasional 20 or 30 rep set is killer though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I often think about how much faster I could've gained muscle if I wasn't doing 12-15 reps for so long! And yeah...20 rep sets can be killer but effective!

      Delete
  3. hi!
    I am SO glad to have found you. such a great and informative post. I've been running a lot and neglecting weights..but recently got back into it. I'm so motivated to get fitter, stronger, build up some muscle. GREAT tips which have me excited to head out the door for a strength session tomorrow! Thank you! And, you look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi-
      I'm glad you liked the post. The weights are the best! :)
      Thank you so much!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

One Year...

One year ago today... the day it all changed. It was a Tuesday. I got the call from Matt around 3:00. I remember I was sitting at the computer at home. Matt told me that he was at the hospital, and that Bob Scott, his boss, had driven him there. Then he said those 4 words I never expected to hear: “The tumor came back.”  My heart stopped. Matt had gone in that morning for an MRI, as he has done numerous times in the past 10 years. He was now at the point where he had an MRI just yearly now, and that one was done in February, which showed that everything was fine. There was no sign of tumor growth, which had been the case for the last 10 years, praise God. But because Matt had been having some seizure activity for the last few months, they suggested he go in for another MRI in July. We then decided we should move up the appointment, because he had been having a headache every day for the past week. Good thing we did.... After I hung up with Matt,  I immediately broke down. I