Skip to main content

It's Never Too Late

My client, Beverly, came in to work with me a few years ago when she was 63 years old. She had never lifted weights or been on any kind of structured exercise plan before then. She just knew that it was time to make a change.

Since that day, Beverly changed her diet around completely and has been consistent with her workouts for the past 3 1/2 years. As a result, she has lost over 30lb and 17 inches, plus she has gained muscle and most importantly, strength!

At 67 years old, she can deadlift more than her bodyweight for reps and has done 12 real pushups! She is awesome-she works hard, never complains, and she never uses age as an excuse not to do something!

I also have to mention my mother-in-law. For the past few months, I have been sending her workouts for her to do on her own in her home gym. Like Beverly, she had never really been on a structured weight training plan before and has only been working out for about 8 months now consistently.She has gone from being excited about doing 2 full pushups when she first started, to now doing sets of 8! AND now she is super close to getting her first pullup! How awesome is that?


Both of these examples just go to show that no matter where you are in life, no matter what your age, no matter what your fitness level, no matter how many times you've tried and failed in the past, you can always create a new beginning. It is never too late to begin the journey to a NEW you.

What it comes down to is having the right mindset. A client of mine said to me the other day that to finally make the decision to take action and lose weight, she had to be at that "place" inside, and she was finally there.

And that is SO true. You have to be at a certain "place" mentally; the place where you are ready to fully commit and take the steps it takes to get to where you want to be. There has to be something that happens inside of you, something that sparks a desire for CHANGE, a desire to take action, a desire to venture out of the comfort zone that is getting you nowhere.

Do it for your health, do it for your future, do it for YOU- show yourself what you are capable of! PROVE to yourself that you can do anything you set your mind to. Because you CAN. Age is not an excuse!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

One Year...

One year ago today... the day it all changed. It was a Tuesday. I got the call from Matt around 3:00. I remember I was sitting at the computer at home. Matt told me that he was at the hospital, and that Bob Scott, his boss, had driven him there. Then he said those 4 words I never expected to hear: “The tumor came back.”  My heart stopped. Matt had gone in that morning for an MRI, as he has done numerous times in the past 10 years. He was now at the point where he had an MRI just yearly now, and that one was done in February, which showed that everything was fine. There was no sign of tumor growth, which had been the case for the last 10 years, praise God. But because Matt had been having some seizure activity for the last few months, they suggested he go in for another MRI in July. We then decided we should move up the appointment, because he had been having a headache every day for the past week. Good thing we did.... After I hung up with Matt,  I immediately broke down. I