Skip to main content

Powerlifting Week 3

This week was my first week doing the workouts on my own and just one day with my trainer. I decided to meet with him on bench day this week, since I don't have access to chains at the gym where I workout.

So Monday was rack pulls for deadlift day. It was my first time doing them, and they felt pretty good. Also did good mornings for the first time and had to use the puniest weight ever! It's definitely a different feel, and I'm not a huge fan, but I think it's just because it's something new. I was the same way when I first tried hip thrusts and now I LOVE them.

The thing I hate the most on Mondays is the freaking hanging knee raises. I don't know why, but they are so hard for me! I guess because I always wimp out and never do more than 10 reps, even with ab exercises. I'd rather do a really challenging exercise for 8-10 reps rather than high reps(can you tell I HATE that lactic acid build up!) Plus, I really focus on using my abs to raise my hips up, not just raise my knees up, which uses mostly just the hip flexors. And to think they are in my program for the next 3 months.... Surely they'll get easier!? Just gotta suck it up and stop whining!

Wednesday we did bench with chains. I used 95lbs with about 22lbs of chains on each side. It was pretty hard but fun. Then we did rolling dumbbell extensions, an exercise that surprisingly, I had never even heard of! They target the triceps and  lats as stabilizers to help with bench. Then we did heavy barbell rows with a wide grip. I could barely get 10 reps with 115, but he made me squeeze them out for 3 sets! Finished up with lat pulldowns with a focus on driving the elbows into my sides at the bottom, not just down.  I woke up SO sore in my lats and triceps, so I guess it worked!

After the workout with my trainer,  I came home and did a few sets of sled pulls and reverse sled drags, paired with pushups between rounds. Nothing super intense. I'm going to do 2 days a week of easy conditioning like this after my workouts as well as a 20-30 minute walk a couple times a week. That is the extent of my "cardio"!


Saturday is fun because it's just speed bench and then what I call my "pump" work, which I love! He also programmed in another day of hip thrusts on Saturdays just for me because he knows how much I love them. Then I finished up with some plate carries and prowler pushes.

MONDAY DEADLIFT DAY
1)Rack pulls: 190x3x3
2)Good mornings: 85x3x8
3)Hip thrusts:155x10/185x4x10
4)Reverse hypers: 90x3x12
5a)Hanging leg raises: 4x15
5b)Band walks3x15
6)Band clams: 2x20(left side-working on a glute imbalance)


WEDNESDAY BENCH DAY
1)Bench with chains: 95+chains(about 22lbs each side) x4x3
2a)Rolling db extension: 3x8(forgot what the weight was! 20s?)
2b)Prone Y: 3x12
3)Bentover wide grip barbell row: 95x10/115x4x10(these were ugly!)
4)Lat pulldown: 70x3x10
Finisher: Sled pulls one way, reverse sled drags back + 10 pushups x 4 rounds

FRIDAY SQUAT DAY
1)Box safety bar squats: 160x3/ 170x3x3
2)Wide stance squats box squats: 145x4x5
3)Front squats: 95x8/105x3x8
4)GHR: 15x3x5
5a)Ab wheel: 1x15/2x10 negatives
5b)Seated band abductions: 1x30/2x20

SATURDAY ACCESSORY 
1)Speed press:(50%) 75x8x3
2)Incline press: 80x3x8
2b)BB glute bridge: 135x4x15
3)Ring pullups; 1x8/2x6
4a)Lateral raises: 3x10
4b)Pull-aparts: 3x15
4c)Tricep pushdowns: 3x15
Finisher: 1 arm plate carries and sled push(alternating low and high handles)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

Why?

Why? Why do I care so much?  Why do I make sure they brush their teeth at night so that they don't get cavities? Why do I spend my own money to buy them clothes, toys and decorate their rooms, among other things?  Why do I do 5,000 loads of laundry a week to make sure they have clothes to wear to school? Why do I make sure they go to church on Sundays so that they'll be raised to know about Jesus? Why do I try to give them chores and responsibilities so that they will turn out to be decent human beings? Why do I read them a bedtime story at night, even when I'm exhausted? Why do I clean up after them constantly and cook for them and try to always have healthy snacks and food on hand? Why do I go to their sports games and practices, just to feel like the odd man out standing there awkwardly with their bio mom? Why do I give 100% of myself and make so many sacrifices for children I didn't birth? Only to be insulted and told hurtful things? To be made to feel like I'm