Skip to main content

Recipe & Ramblings

Welp, winter is here. 
I had heard that snow was in the forecast, but I just dismissed it since usually the weather people are wrong! But...I woke up to this. 
It's the first time since I've been alive that I remember ever having snow in November! I mean, there are still leaves on the trees!I don't mind the snow, really...it's just the brutal cold that is so awful! It's only in the teens today! It does get me excited for Christmas though. I have all my Christmas stuff down from storage, so that will be my weekend project!

Last week was my hubby's birthday, and since it fell on a weekday, I made him a protein cinnamon swirl "cake" to keep it healthy. It turned out really good, and I was glad that he loved it. I used Jamie Eason's recipe from bodybuilding.com. And I'd definitely make it again! 

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup Ideal( I used a sugar/stevia blend)
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 cups oat flour + 2 scoops Platinum Whey Vanilla Cake
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup Ideal or ¼ cup Stevia in the Raw(used the stevia/sugar blend again)
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 cup unsweetened almond milk 
  • 1/3 cup applesauce and ¼ cup low sugar vanilla yogurt. (I did not use the yogurt)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 8 X 8 inch Pyrex dish with non-stick spray (can use larger pan, will make thinner bread, or loaf pan) 
 In small bowl combine: (set aside)
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

In a large bowl combine: (whisk together)
1 1/2 cups oat flour + 2 scoops vanilla whey protein
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar

In a medium bowl combine: (whisk together & add to large bowl)
2 egg whites
1 cup unsweetened almond milk 
1/3 cup or 1 4oz applesauce and ¼ cup low sugar vanilla yogurt (optional)

Pour a shallow layer of batter into the loaf pan (about 1/4 of the batter).

Sprinkle heavily with half of the cinnamon/sugar mixture. Repeat with remaining batter & cinnamon/sugar on top. Draw a knife through the batter to marble. Bake for 24 to 28 min. Let cool for 10 min. Bread will be dense.

Of course, that weekend I made him a "real" cake-his favorite pumpkin spice with cream cheese frosting. And we went out for pizza, like always! We tried a new pizza place that he really liked but that was not my favorite.

Sooo anyway...I'm kind of sad that I only have 2 more weeks of training left! I've really enjoyed this style of training a lot, even though it's not super different than what I was doing previously. I'm thinking that for after the meet I'll stick with the same split or go back to what I was doing before, maybe having an upper and lower body heavy day and then an upper and lower body higher rep day. 

Even though I love this training, I do miss the Olympic lifts, so I'll be excited to add those back in. And I've really missed overhead pressing, so I'll add that back in as well. And of course, I gotta throw in some bicep curls! Yes, I've kind of missed them. One thing I can say that I haven't missed is calf raises!!!  What I plan on doing after the meet is just taking a month or two to focus on slightly higher reps and more bodyweight exercises to give my body a break from the heavy barbell lifts. So things like pushups, dips, handstand pushups, and inverted rows. 

But ...I don't need to get too far ahead of myself! Right now I gotta start visualizing and seeing myself completing all the lifts at the meet. My goal is to not fail any lift, but I'm not sure if that's a reasonable goal for your first meet or not. And yes, I said "first meet"...implying that this one probably won't be my last. ;) Unless, of course, I just absolutely bomb out and hate the whole experience. But I don't think that will be the case.

 I'm really excited for Thanksgiving next week! Can't wait to eat some good food and see Celeste! And of course, the rest of my family, too. ;)  

Enjoy the rest of your week!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

Why?

Why? Why do I care so much?  Why do I make sure they brush their teeth at night so that they don't get cavities? Why do I spend my own money to buy them clothes, toys and decorate their rooms, among other things?  Why do I do 5,000 loads of laundry a week to make sure they have clothes to wear to school? Why do I make sure they go to church on Sundays so that they'll be raised to know about Jesus? Why do I try to give them chores and responsibilities so that they will turn out to be decent human beings? Why do I read them a bedtime story at night, even when I'm exhausted? Why do I clean up after them constantly and cook for them and try to always have healthy snacks and food on hand? Why do I go to their sports games and practices, just to feel like the odd man out standing there awkwardly with their bio mom? Why do I give 100% of myself and make so many sacrifices for children I didn't birth? Only to be insulted and told hurtful things? To be made to feel like I'm