Skip to main content

Thanksgiving Thoughts

In past years on Thanksgiving, I've made my "things I'm thankful for" list, but this year I want to do something a little different.

While I think it's great to be thankful for everything we have and to recognize that it's all from God, I thought on this Thanksgiving that instead of thanking God for all the "things" He's blessed me with, I just want to simply thank Him for His presence in my life.
Looking back over my life, I see how God has always been there every step of the way.

Through the death of my Dad, He was there.
Through Matt's cancer and treatment, He was there.
Through Mom's car accident, He was there.
In all my anxieties and fears, He was there.

He has given me strength, peace, and comfort through all of the hard times I've been through. With Him in my life, I've never felt despair; I've never not had a hope to cling to. 

Looking back, I can see God's hand in everything...
As a teenager, my identity in Christ gave me the confidence to not go along with the crowd, even if that cost me friendships and popularity. He kept me on the right path and from being swayed by peer pressure.
I had prayed for a Christian husband since I was a young teenager, and just when I started to think there weren't godly men out there, He sent Matt into my life. 
Even though I was confused when my Dad died and couldn't understand why it happened, I still had comfort and hope, knowing that I'd see him again one day.
When Matt was diagnosed with brain cancer and then decided to have brain surgery, I had such peace through all of it. Looking back, I don't see how I wasn't freaking out!
He kept my mom alive after her car wreck and brought my family closer together through it all. 
He heard the prayers I that I had prayed every single day for my brother and sister, and He answered them and pulled them away from the destructive paths they were on.
And most recently, when I found myself becoming a slave to food, training, and my body image, He helped me to find freedom and balance.

Knowing Christ has shaped my life and who I am today-it has changed my mindset, filled my heart with gratitude, and given me wisdom, joy, hope, and freedom. He's saved me from myself and from being controlled by my sins to a life filled with joy and hope in Christ!  

I know that there will still be tough times ahead. But I also know that no matter what I go through, He will be with me through it all, as He has always been! He is faithful. And I am thankful.

"Every moment of my life
God, You never left my side
Every valley, every storm
You were there, You were there
I don't need to know what's next
You'll be with me every step
Through it all, through it all
I can see You carry me..."



Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

One Year...

One year ago today... the day it all changed. It was a Tuesday. I got the call from Matt around 3:00. I remember I was sitting at the computer at home. Matt told me that he was at the hospital, and that Bob Scott, his boss, had driven him there. Then he said those 4 words I never expected to hear: “The tumor came back.”  My heart stopped. Matt had gone in that morning for an MRI, as he has done numerous times in the past 10 years. He was now at the point where he had an MRI just yearly now, and that one was done in February, which showed that everything was fine. There was no sign of tumor growth, which had been the case for the last 10 years, praise God. But because Matt had been having some seizure activity for the last few months, they suggested he go in for another MRI in July. We then decided we should move up the appointment, because he had been having a headache every day for the past week. Good thing we did.... After I hung up with Matt,  I immediately broke down. I