Skip to main content

Thursday Thoughts and 2015 Goal

Just some thoughts I wanted to share!

This year I've decided that my focus is not on trying to change anything about my body-not to get leaner or bigger, but on learning to love my body just as it is. To love it on the days when I feel soft and scrawny as much as on the days that I feel super lean and muscular!

My goal is to continue to strive for balance when it comes to fitness and nutrition-for it to be just a part of my life, not what my life REVOLVES around. I want to fuel my body with healthy foods but also not stress about eating perfectly all the time.

I don't want to let loss of strength or a bad training day effect me, but instead just be thankful for a strong and healthy body. As much as I want to inspire people to be physically fit and healthy, more important than that, I want people to realize that there is more to life. That it IS possible to enjoy life to the fullest and not be consumed by the constant striving for fat loss or 6 pack abs.

It took me awhile to get to this point, but now that I've shifted my focus from trying to have the "perfect" body to being the person God wants me to be(which means not constantly thinking about MYSELF!) it really keeps me in check! Not that I would ever let myself go and get out of shape, but I don't compare myself to other people anymore or obsess about if I'm gaining or losing muscle or whatever...because I realize now that God is not impressed by my physique accomplishments, and His opinion is the only one I care about anyway!

So moral of the story is: love your body NOW, just as it is, even as you work on making it stronger and healthier! But most importantly, focus on making yourself better on the INSIDE first and foremost.

One thing that has also helped me to get away from obsessing over my physique is to always have some of exercise goal that I'm working towards. I definitely have to give a shout out to CrossFit for helping me switch my mindset from looks to performance. Back when I started CrossFit there were so many new things to learn, and that was why I loved it. It was really fun to learn new things and challenge myself in ways I never had before! A few of my goals were to be able to do a muscle up and get really good at double unders and learn how to do a handstand and handstand pushups. It wasn't easy, but I was able to reach all of those goals!

I never thought I'd be doing handstands, or muscle ups, or anything like that, as I've never been a "gymnasty" person. But with practice and persistence, I surprised myself with what I was able to do! So this year I've decided that my goal is to be able to do a human flag!

I've always thought it would be cool to be able do, but I haven't really committed to practicing it. So I'm gonna research, watch some tutorials and then...practice, practice, practice! Hopefully by the end of the year I WILL be able to do this!

Soooo... I wanna know: do you have any performance/exercise goals you are wanting to accomplish this year?

Comments

  1. great mindset, love. it;s definitely where i am these days! so happy you're there too. so much more to life!!!!!!

    human flag would be awesome. a 200 lb. deadlift is on my list this year and handstands!!!! you inspire me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the whole past year was pretty awesome with that mindset! Great goals, I'm sure you're going to reach them! :)

      Delete
  2. I actually started my goal for 2015 on New Year's Eve: handstands. With fairly consistent practice, I'm pleased to think I'm making progress. After that's accomplished, my husband says I should try walking handstands. We will see.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I'm sure you'll be handstand walking in no time!

      Delete
  3. These are great goals! Focusing on performance is so much more fun. Some of my goals for this year are a 315lb deadlift, 240lb squat and 130lb overhead - much more enjoyable than chasing a leaner physique haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is! Those are awesome goals...my goal is to one day be as strong as you! haha.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

One Year...

One year ago today... the day it all changed. It was a Tuesday. I got the call from Matt around 3:00. I remember I was sitting at the computer at home. Matt told me that he was at the hospital, and that Bob Scott, his boss, had driven him there. Then he said those 4 words I never expected to hear: “The tumor came back.”  My heart stopped. Matt had gone in that morning for an MRI, as he has done numerous times in the past 10 years. He was now at the point where he had an MRI just yearly now, and that one was done in February, which showed that everything was fine. There was no sign of tumor growth, which had been the case for the last 10 years, praise God. But because Matt had been having some seizure activity for the last few months, they suggested he go in for another MRI in July. We then decided we should move up the appointment, because he had been having a headache every day for the past week. Good thing we did.... After I hung up with Matt,  I immediately broke down. I