Skip to main content

Workouts of the Week

This week I kind of just wanted to switch things up from the plan I've been following for the last 4 weeks. I do have an idea what I'm going to do before I go to the gym but  most of the time I really like just training intuitively and not using percentages or anything like that. I often like to choose weights and reps based on how I feel that day. It works for me for now, as my main thing is just to have fun with my training! I'm going to write out a plan for the next 4-6 weeks, and then I'll think about changing things up a bit or maybe following a more structured strength focused plan...or not, who knows!

MONDAY UPPER BODY 
I decided to lower the weight and go for more reps on bench this week. I like to keep my reps as explosive as I can and stop before they get too "grindy". I also did my weighted pullups first and added weight this week. Again, on pullups, I try to avoid slow, grinder reps and stop when I can't keep my shoulders from rounding forward. I NEVER go to failure. Then I did overhead dumbbell presses, more pullups and then just some isolation work. I'm contemplating not even doing isolation work for awhile, and going back or a more minimalist style of training, focusing mainly on the compound lifts. I don't honestly even feel like isolation work does much for me!

1)Weighted wide grip pullups: 15x4/20x4/4/4/4
2)Bench press: 95x3x8
3a)Chinups: 2x9/ Lat pulldown: 2x12
3b)Overhead dumbbell press: 30x3x8/25x8
4a)DB curls: 3x10-12
4b)Lsit: 4x15 seconds
5a)Pullaparts: 3x20
5b)Calf raise: 3x20

1 arm overhead carries: 3x30 seconds each arm w/40lbs

WEDNESDAY LOWER BODY
Squats are still feeling good! I did an extra set with 165, using my belt for my 2 heaviest sets. I'm going to try to go without it next week, as I'm really not big on using belts unless it's using max weights. I did a drop set on my last set of squats, which was killer-but mostly just because of the breathing! Maybe I need to do more cardio! Just kidding. After that was RDLs, reverse hypers, and split squats. I was SO sore the next day! It had to have been the split squats and lunges! Finished up with abs. Gotta start working my obliques so I can get the strength I need for the human flag.

1)Squat jumps 3x6
2)Squats: 135x6/155x6/165x6/165x6(with belt)/155x8+135x8(drop set)
3)RDL: 135x10/155x3x8
4)Reverse hypers: 3x12
5)Bulgarian split squat: 60x10(w/barbell)/30s(dumbbells)x9/walking lunges 30x8
6)AB wheel 2x10/1x15
6b)Abductions: 3x20
7)Stir the pot and side planks


FRIDAY UPPER
This week I decided to do handstand pushups instead of presses just because that's what I felt like doing! Then I did floor presses and one arm rows, followed by some isolation stuff. The workout was so short, I decided to do some muscle ups afterward. I didn't know if I'd be able to do one since my arms were so fatigued, but they actually felt really good being more warmed up. I was able to get 5 without a kip with a few seconds rest between each one.

1)Barbell hang power snatch: 75x4x3
2)Handstand pushups: 5/4-4-4-4
3a)DB floor press: 35x3x10
3b)1 arm db row: 45x10/55x8/65x8/70x6
4a)DB lateral raises: 3x12
4b)Face pulls: 3x12
5)Cable pushdowns: 1x30(rest pause style)
No kip muscle up x 5(with rest in between)
Handstand practice

SATURDAY LOWER
So I have not slept well at ALL the last few days but still managed to get through this workout. I went a litle heavier on squats this week, working up to a heavy set of 6. It's been a while since I front squatted that much, and it felt pretty good! Looking forward to getting my strength back on those, and hoping they will build up these quads! Didn't go super heavy on deadlifts-stayed at about 80% of my max for sets of 5. Then just did some heavy sled drags and finished up with glutes and abs.

1)Front squats: 95x6/105x6/115x6/125x6
2)Sumo deadlifts: 155x5/175x5/175x5/180x5/180x5
3a)Glute ham raises: 10lbs x 12/3x10
4)Sled drags: 15-20 seconds @270/340/360x6
5a)Single leg hip thrusts: 3x12
5b)Lateral band walks 3x12
Dragon flies 2x8/ TRX pikes 2x12


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

Why?

Why? Why do I care so much?  Why do I make sure they brush their teeth at night so that they don't get cavities? Why do I spend my own money to buy them clothes, toys and decorate their rooms, among other things?  Why do I do 5,000 loads of laundry a week to make sure they have clothes to wear to school? Why do I make sure they go to church on Sundays so that they'll be raised to know about Jesus? Why do I try to give them chores and responsibilities so that they will turn out to be decent human beings? Why do I read them a bedtime story at night, even when I'm exhausted? Why do I clean up after them constantly and cook for them and try to always have healthy snacks and food on hand? Why do I go to their sports games and practices, just to feel like the odd man out standing there awkwardly with their bio mom? Why do I give 100% of myself and make so many sacrifices for children I didn't birth? Only to be insulted and told hurtful things? To be made to feel like I'm