Skip to main content

Workouts & A Rant

I hate when people make comments about my genetics-especially when they're basically implying that my "good genetics" is the reason I can eat the way I can or why I look the way I do.

Okay, I get it. Yes, of course genetics play a role.... But lifting weights for over 15 years I guess has nothing to do with it? Or the fact that I'm very meticulous about what and how much I eat?

I guess I just feel like when people say something about my genetics, it negates all the hard work I've put in to look the way I do. Yes, my genetics have given me a thin frame and a fast metabolism. So maybe because of that I can eat a little more than the average person and still stay lean. I can get by with having a few more treats here and there and not tracking every single thing I put into my mouth.

But you know what else my genetics gave me? A pancake butt and scrawny legs. Narrow hips and no boobs. A "soft" midsection that makes it really hard for me to see my abs, even if I'm lean(thanks, Mom). Now overall, yes, I do love my body, and there are a lot of reasons why I'm thankful for my mom's genetics. But I have worked HARD for a LONG time for what I have!

The reason I am lean and muscular today is because of the way I have been eating and training for the last 10+ years. I definitely don't have "eat whatever you want" genetics. If I didn't lift weights or eat the way I do, I know for a fact I would not look this way.  Maybe it makes people feel better to tell themselves, 'Oh, she just has good genetics', I don't know. All I know is that it's annoying. Rant over.


MONDAY UPPER
Energy was a little low for this workout for some reason. Decided to keep the weight on bench a little lighter for 3 sets of five, and then I did a couple sets with my fat gripz. Pullups today were freaking hard, but I managed to get 3 sets of 6 with 25 pounds. Then I actually did a little more upper body and skipped the lower body stuff. Instead, I did some kettlebell swings and band walks as a glute finisher. I just wasn't feeling the whole 3 day a week leg thing! I want to enjoy my workouts, not feel like I HAVE to do something ...and that's what I was starting to feel like. If I'll always have scrawny legs, then oh well.

1)Bench press: 110x3x5/ Fat gripz: 95x2x7
2)Neutral grip pullups: 25x3x6/ 0x6(wide grip)
3a)1 arm db overhead press: 30x10/9/8
3b)Trx row: 12/10/10
4)Hanging leg raises: 3x10
Finisher:
Kb swings 4x12 w/60lbs
+band walks 3x12
1 arm overhead carries: 45x2x30-35 seconds

WEDNESDAY LOWER
For squats this week I wanted to stay in the 6 rep range, so I worked up to 185 for 6, then a couple of back off sets at 165. I was happy to get 185 for 6! :) After that I totally changed up my workout from what I'd been doing. I just didn't feel like doing hip thrusts, so I did some good mornings, back extensions and leg curls. Then some abs and the same quad finisher I've been doing. Well, I actually messed up the reps and order of exercises the first round, but it doesn't matter much!

1)Squat jumps: 1x5/25x2x5
2)Squats: 155x6/175x6/185x6/165x2x6
3)Good mornings: 65x10/95x2x8
4)Back extensions: 45x10/50x2x10
5a)Reverse crunches: 1x15/10x2x12
5b)Leg curl machine: 3x10-12

Finisher:
Round 1:
Squats x24
Reverse lunges x24
Squat jumps x24
Lunge jumps x12
2 minute rest
Round 2:(this is what I meant to do the first round)
Squats x24
Reverse lunges x24
Lunge jumps x24
Squat jumps x12

FRIDAY UPPER
Push presses felt okay this week. Energy was a little low for  this workout, but I think it's because it's the week before TOM. I skipped snatches, which may be why push presses were a little harder. After that it was just the normal "pump" stuff! My "finisher" after this workout was 10 minutes shooting hoops! The most fun finisher I've done in a while! ;)

1)Push press: 95x5/105x5/110x5/4/4 /HSPU x2x5
2a)Narrow lat pulldown: 4x10(2 sets, overhand, 2 sets under)
2b)DB chest press: 50x7/45x8/8/Pushups x15
3a)Lateral raise: 2x12
3b)Ez bar drag curls: 40x14/12/12
4a)Lsit: 3x20 seconds
5b)Face pull: 3x12-15

SATURDAY LOWER
Started this workout with front squats. FYI: front squats suck, and I hate  them! Worked up to 125 for 3 sets of 6...and that wasn't easy. After that I decided to do some power cleans and then conventional deadlift singles at around 60-70% for about 10 reps total. After that I did hip thrusts, working up to 205 for sets of 8 , which felt pretty good. Finished with abs and glutes, then a few sled pushes.

1)Front squats: 105x6/115x6/125x6/6/6
2)Hang power cleans: 95x5/115x3/3/125x3/125x2
3)Conventional deadlift speed pulls: 135x3x1/155x5x1/175x2x1
4)Barbell hip thrust: 155x10/175x8/205x3x8
5a)Ball pike: 3x12
5b)Band seated abductions: 3x25
Sled pushes 270 x 5 x 12 seconds




"As I see it, intensity is really just a measure of both how hard you're working and how hard you're willing to work. You can't have an intense workout if you don't have an intense mindset. Intensity means being willing to push your body just a little bit further than you want to; being willing to force your body to give a little bit more than it wants."
John Romaniello

Comments

  1. Totally get your rant!!! Ive heard the genetics comment before and yes while I have my dad to thank for some of it, I think my hard work and nutrition over the past 15 years shouldn't be dis credited. !
    The comment I hate the most is " you look great..... For someone who has 4 kids...."
    Ugh! Really? Don't get me started about what is wrong with statement. Lol!
    And girl, you have fabulous legs btw! They are lean but NOT scrawny and chicken like!! Great job on the workouts this week! Rock on chica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you understand my frustration! And thanks so much, I appreciate that! :-)

      Delete
  2. I agree with Melissa - not scrawny! After all, you are an inspiration to me and I have the butt, legs and boobs. I would be more than willing to give you some! LOL! Seriously - I would! You have to fight to keep it, I have to fight to get some of it GONE.

    I've definitely learned that just because someone is a friend/acquaintance who is even into fitness....doesn't mean they are truly a support for you. People will ALWAYS find some way to do the 'backhanded compliment' thing - and that includes the genetics card, the age card, and any other that allows them to put something out there that doesn't apply to them.

    Eh....in one ear/eye and out the other. You look beautiful and you work HARD. Many just aren't willing to put it in. You do.

    I think that if people were really willing to do what it takes, they would see that they can be as beautiful as they want to be. (But of course, then it would be all about cosmetics, fake nails, fake lashes, etc). Never win - ever.

    *shrugs*

    Keep being amazing! *hugs*

    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're right, Jen! Well said. And thank you! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

One Year...

One year ago today... the day it all changed. It was a Tuesday. I got the call from Matt around 3:00. I remember I was sitting at the computer at home. Matt told me that he was at the hospital, and that Bob Scott, his boss, had driven him there. Then he said those 4 words I never expected to hear: “The tumor came back.”  My heart stopped. Matt had gone in that morning for an MRI, as he has done numerous times in the past 10 years. He was now at the point where he had an MRI just yearly now, and that one was done in February, which showed that everything was fine. There was no sign of tumor growth, which had been the case for the last 10 years, praise God. But because Matt had been having some seizure activity for the last few months, they suggested he go in for another MRI in July. We then decided we should move up the appointment, because he had been having a headache every day for the past week. Good thing we did.... After I hung up with Matt,  I immediately broke down. I