Skip to main content

Friday Ramblings

It's been a while since I've done a rambling post! Have you missed it?

Well, as I mentioned, this week I decided to take some days off from the gym. I knew it was needed when I didn't miss it or have the desire to even go to the gym! I took Sunday-Tuesday off completely. And it really helped-my appetite came back strong and my body just felt better. On those days I just walked and did some very easy mobility stuff and foam rolling.

Wednesday I did a light gym workout between training sessions, and tomorrow I just plan on maybe doing some sled drags at home. As far as my gym workouts went, Wednesday I did light zercher squats, pushups, face pulls, single leg hip thrusts, band walks, and pullaparts. Nothing heavy, nothing intense. Today was just mobility again, and tomorrow I may do a full body workout at home or the gym, depending on what I feel like.

I ate exactly the same--no cutting back on calories or carbs at any meal. And I didn't gain a single pound. So if you're worried about gaining weight or even losing muscle by taking a week off-STOP. You will be okay, I promise. Here are a few articles you can check out about deload/recovery weeks:
https://www.t-nation.com/training/get-bigger-by-doing-less
http://www.theaestheticnation.com/importance-taking-recovery-week-working/
http://tonygentilcore.com/2012/01/the-deload-week-and-why-you-should-use-it/

So last week I had the most amaaaazing treat. We went out for pizza Saturday, and then since we had to pick up something at the mall afterwards, we stopped at Great American Cookies for dessert. It has been probably 10 years since I've had a cookie from there, and oh man...it hit the spot. I also had a peanut butter cup brownie because I couldn't decide on which one I wanted! They were both freakin' awesome.

The plan for this weekend is doughnuts! I gotta try the peach pie one from Krispy Kreme before it's not out anymore! This weekend we're volunteering with our church to help renovate some houses downtown, so after a long day of work, doughnuts will be waiting for me. ;)

Soo anyway, as far as workouts, I decided to go back to a 4 day upper lower split. It's just what I love! I have enjoyed my training the last few months not really following a set plan, but I really think that now I feel like having something to follow and to work on strength again...I just can't decide what to do. I may just run a variation of Uncaged again since nothing else I've seen really appeals to be. But here is what I plan on doing for the next month:

Upper Body + Glutes
1)Clean and jerk + push presses: 3-5x3-5
2a)Dumbbell chest press: 3-5 x 6-8
2b))Weighted pullups 5x5
3a)Face pulls
3b)Reverse crunch or ball pike

Glute circuit:(may change week to week)
Weighted back extensions x10
Pull-throughs x10
Band hip thrust x10
3-4 rounds minimal rest

Lower Body Heavy Day
1)Box jump 3x5
2) Front Squat 3-4x3-5
3) Deadlift 3x3-5
4a) GHR 4x6
4b)Ab wheel or TRX pikes
5a)Calf raises 4x10-20
5b)Band clams
Finisher-quad finisher or walking lunges

Upper Body
1)Bench press: 3x3-5
2a)Landmine press: 3x8
2b)Chinups 3x amap(not to failure)
3a)Pull-aparts 3x15-20
3b)Bicep curls 2x15
4)Lateral raise 2x15
  
Lower Hypertrophy day
1)BB hip thrust: 3x8-10
2)Back squats: 3x8-10
3)RDLs: 3x8
4)Front loaded reverse lunge: 3x8-10
5)Cable or seated abductions: 3x12-15
Finisher-Prowler sprints/sled drags


Comments

  1. YES!! I've missed them - but I wanted to say I hope you have a wonderful July 4th holiday!! :-D ~Jen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

One Year...

One year ago today... the day it all changed. It was a Tuesday. I got the call from Matt around 3:00. I remember I was sitting at the computer at home. Matt told me that he was at the hospital, and that Bob Scott, his boss, had driven him there. Then he said those 4 words I never expected to hear: “The tumor came back.”  My heart stopped. Matt had gone in that morning for an MRI, as he has done numerous times in the past 10 years. He was now at the point where he had an MRI just yearly now, and that one was done in February, which showed that everything was fine. There was no sign of tumor growth, which had been the case for the last 10 years, praise God. But because Matt had been having some seizure activity for the last few months, they suggested he go in for another MRI in July. We then decided we should move up the appointment, because he had been having a headache every day for the past week. Good thing we did.... After I hung up with Matt,  I immediately broke down. I