Skip to main content

Workouts Of the Week-Trying Out A New Program!

I'm going to try this out for a week and see if I like it:

Monday-deadlift and hamstring/glute day
Tuesday-upper body heavy day
Wednesday-squat and quad/glute day
Friday-upper body light day
Saturday-Hip thrust and glute day

I'm not sure I'll like the 5 days a week thing. I like looking forward to my workouts, and I've found that 4 days is perfect for me. It keeps me excited about going to the gym having those three rest days, and not feeling burnt out. But on Tuesdays I'm already at the gym in the mornings for work anyways, so I figure I'll give it a try for a little while. Next week I may swap the deadlift and squat day. I didn't think through deadlifts being two days before squats...probably not a great idea, even though it was fine this week.

Monday
I decided to do block pulls this week since I haven't done them in a while. I worked up to 205, which felt pretty darn heavy. Block pulls have always been hard for me since it's right where my sticking point is. After that it was all  hammies and glutes. I actually liked this workout, although I'm not a huge fan of seated leg curls, so I may replace those with ball leg curls next time. I also added in some calves at the end.

1)Block pull-135x5/155x5/185x5/205x3/3/5
2)Glute ham raise: 10x10/15x3x8
3)Seated leg curl: 1x12/2x10
4a)Back extension: 40x3x12
4b)Lateral band walk: 3x15
5)Standing calf raise: 1x15/1x12/ seated calf raise: 2x20
6)Stir the pot plank: 2x40 seconds

Tuesday
Triceps were sooo sore for days after this workout! See why I don't directly train my triceps anymore? They get hammered enough with all the compound pushing movements I do. I think it was the high rep set of push presses that got me. Push jerks felt easier this week. I took out the clean portion to give my back a break from deads the day before. For bench I used a slightly wider grip, hence the lower reps since it's harder for me. Instead of pullups this week I did feet elevated TRX rows. Just want to be careful with my shoulder, and pullups are the only things that bother it. I finished up with a bunch of pullaparts, V-sit pracitice and some battle ropes and handsands.

1)Push jerks: 95x3/115x3x3/Push press: 95x10
2a)Bench press(wider grip): 105x4/5/5/95x2x8
2b)Feet elevated TRX row : 10/10/9/9/9
3a)Pull-aparts: 4x20
3b)Lsit/vsit holds: 4x10 seconds
Battle ropes 4x 20 seconds + handstand practice

Wednesday
I have a feeling this is the workout I'm going to dread the most if I stick with this plan! Having a quad day is rough when you aren't used to doing that many quad movements in one workout! Squats felt good, but I do have some hip flexor pain on my left side that I have to watch. That's what led to all my hip issues a few years ago, so I don't want that to flare up again. Front squats felt much better after being more warmed up, even though I kept the weight a little lighter. I did go a heavier on walking lunges this week, and yeah...they were no fun. Then I did some leg presses and a little extra glute work at the end.

1)Squats: 165x6/175x6/175x6/165x6
2)Front squats: 95x3x10
3)Walking lunges: 35x3x8
4)Leg press: 180x12/270x12/270x12
5a)Single leg hip thrust: 3x12
5b)Band clams: 2x20

Friday
This was a fun upper body workout that I just made up on the fly!
1a)Dumbbell chest press: 35x10/45x10/9/9
1b)Lat pulldown: 10/10/10/8+4(drop set)

10 minute amrap:
2a)1 arm DB row: 55x8/8/7/7/6/6
2b)Handstand pushups: 6/6/5/5/4/4
3)Lateral raise: giant set to 35 reps
4)Seated incline bicep curls: 2x10
5)Face pulls 2x15
6)Hanging leg raise: 10/8/ Ball pike: 2x10

Saturday
Hip thrusts felt great today! Really felt them in the glutes at the weight that I used. After hip thrusts it was just a bunch of glute isolation stuff, but I did throw in some single leg bench squats. Finished up with light sled pushes, which was probably the hardest thing I did all week, even though I used a super light weight! My endurance is horrible.
1)Hip thrust: 135x12/155x10/185x3x10
2)Reverse hyper pendulum kickback: 3 x 15
3)Reverse hyper: 3 x 20
4a)1 leg bench squat: 3x12
4b)Seated abductions: 3x30
5)Cable standing hip abduction 3 x 10-20
Sled pushes-down and back, 5 sets

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

Why?

Why? Why do I care so much?  Why do I make sure they brush their teeth at night so that they don't get cavities? Why do I spend my own money to buy them clothes, toys and decorate their rooms, among other things?  Why do I do 5,000 loads of laundry a week to make sure they have clothes to wear to school? Why do I make sure they go to church on Sundays so that they'll be raised to know about Jesus? Why do I try to give them chores and responsibilities so that they will turn out to be decent human beings? Why do I read them a bedtime story at night, even when I'm exhausted? Why do I clean up after them constantly and cook for them and try to always have healthy snacks and food on hand? Why do I go to their sports games and practices, just to feel like the odd man out standing there awkwardly with their bio mom? Why do I give 100% of myself and make so many sacrifices for children I didn't birth? Only to be insulted and told hurtful things? To be made to feel like I'm