Skip to main content

Workouts of The Week

So I go through phases every now and then when I'm like, 'I have to switch things up, I need to try something new!' Buuuut I always go back to what I love, and that is basic, compound lifts (and their variations)with lower reps. I will never enjoy "booty pump" workouts, circuit training, and things like that. Nothing wrong with that, it's just not my thing. And I prefer to enjoy my workouts.

So I decided I'm just going to keep it simple. Go back to the basics, with fewer exercises and more sets. There is no set/rep scheme or superset pairing that is going to build my legs. It's heavy lifting and big eating. That's all. I am going to stick with the upper body push/pull split for a couple of months. I'm also going to be following a program for bench and focus on that lift strength wise.

Training doesn't have to be crazy complicated. Keep it simple. Get stronger over time. Eat. Recover. That's all.

Here's what I'm thinking for the rest of the year. I'm sure I'll change it up as I go.

MONDAY UPPER BODY PUSH :                          FRIDAY  UPPER BODY PULL:
1.Bench press(program)
+pull-ups(warmup sets) or muscle ups

1. Weighted pull-ups 5x5
2.DB bench press or floor press 3x6


2.1 arm DB rows 3x6-8
3. 1 arm DB press or landmine press 3x8


3.Lat pulldown or seated cable row 3x10-12
4a. Dips or cable pushdowns 2 x amap


4.Face pull or Trx reverse flyes 3x12-15
4b.Pull-aparts 3x20-25


5a. Bicep curls 2-3x10-12
Glute work and/or Farmer's walks(based on what I feel like doing)
5b. L-sit
+pushups/overhead carries?


WEDNESDAY LOWER BODY 1:                          SATURDAY  LOWER BODY 2:
1. Back squat  4x6-8


1.  Deadlifts 4x4-6
2. Bulgarian split squat or Step ups 4x8 


2. Reverse hypers or back extensions 4x10
3. Glute ham raise 4x10


3a.Walking lunges or single leg leg press 4x8-10
4. Single leg RDL or Triple threat (single arm DB rdl, low cable rdl, high cable rdl, 2x10) 

3b.Band walks 3x15

5a.Calf raise 5x8-10

5b. Abs 3-4x10-15
4.Barbell hip thrusts w/band around knees 3x12-15
6a. Single leg hip thrusts

6b. Band abductions
Finisher(optional):
 Sled drags or pushes


On to this week's workouts!

MONDAY UPPER BODY PUSH
I was still really sore in my pecs from Friday, but this week I decided to start with an upper body pushing day just to switch things up! I'll start with bench press next week, but I wanted to take a week off from them so I did floor presses instead. It was a good workout, but definitely not as intense as doing pushing and pulling supersets.

1)Barbell floor press: 95x3x6
2)DB incline chest press: 35x8/40x2x8
3)Landmine press: +10x10/+15x3x8
4a)Cable pushdowns: 3x12
4b)Band pullaparts: 4x20
5a)Ab wheel rollouts(negatives)4x10
5b)Band glute bridge: 3x25
5c)Band walks: 3x15


WEDNESDAY LOWER BODY
I went totally bodybuilder this week with my leg workout. I just wanted to do something different! Don't worry, it's not really my thing, so I won'be be switching to workouts like this. But everyone now and then just for a mental break, it's fun to do! For front squats, I went a little lighter this week, but focused on going slower, keeping tension on the quads, and also didn't use a belt. Then I was going to do leg presses, but since it was being used I did hack squats instead. Yup, hack squats! After that was dumbbell RDLs, which were super hard because of the grip factor. Then I did higher rep glute ham raises, calves, and some leg extensions and squat jumps to finish.

1)Front squats: 95x8/115x6/125x6/6/6
2)Hack squats: 4x12
3)Dumbbell RDLs: 50x15/60x12/60x12
4a)Glute ham raise: 3x12
4b)Foot elevated split squat iso-hold: 3x20 seconds
5a)Calf raise: 5x10
5b)Seated band abductions: 3x25
6a)Leg extensions: 3x12
6b)Squat jumps: 3x12


UPPER BODY PULL
My back was fried after this workout. And my endurance is awful. That is all.

1)Neutral grip pullups: 0x5/15x5/20x5/5/5/ Wide grip: 0x5+ 10 second hold at top
2)1 arm DB row: 50x6/60x6/70x6/60x8/60x8
3)Lat pulldown: 3x12
4a)Face pulls:3x12-5
4b)Bicep curls: 3x10-12
Finisher:
Battle ropes 5x30 seconds
*Also did a few muscle ups


LOWER BODY
Just kind of came up with this workout on the fly this week. It had  been forever since I'd done trap bar deadlifts, so I just felt like doing them. The barbell split squats were hard, but I actually really like them! Also hadn't done reverse hypers in a while, and I really need to start doing them weekly again. The sled drags had my quads on fire!

1)Trap Bar Deadlifts: 140x6/160x5/190x5/210x5/190x5
2)Single leg barbell Bulgarian split squats: 65x6/75x6/85x3x6
3) Reverse hypers:90x12/110x3x12
4a)Goblet squats: 50x15/55x2x12
4b)Single leg hip thrusts: 3x10 w/ hold
5)Sled drags: 6 sets x 15 seconds @320lbs
5a)Seated calf raise:  4x12-15
5b)Modified dragonfly: 10/8/6/6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

Why?

Why? Why do I care so much?  Why do I make sure they brush their teeth at night so that they don't get cavities? Why do I spend my own money to buy them clothes, toys and decorate their rooms, among other things?  Why do I do 5,000 loads of laundry a week to make sure they have clothes to wear to school? Why do I make sure they go to church on Sundays so that they'll be raised to know about Jesus? Why do I try to give them chores and responsibilities so that they will turn out to be decent human beings? Why do I read them a bedtime story at night, even when I'm exhausted? Why do I clean up after them constantly and cook for them and try to always have healthy snacks and food on hand? Why do I go to their sports games and practices, just to feel like the odd man out standing there awkwardly with their bio mom? Why do I give 100% of myself and make so many sacrifices for children I didn't birth? Only to be insulted and told hurtful things? To be made to feel like I'm