Skip to main content

Max Results and Next Training Plan

Time for the results of one rep max week!

To be honest, I wasn't looking forward to this week at all. I didn't feel much stronger on anything, and I knew I'd be super disappointed if NONE of my lifts went up.

Monday was squat day. I was so freaking nervous I felt like I could puke. It's been over TWO YEARS since I've tested my one rep max on squats. I was scared I wouldn't even get 225, which was my current one rep max, and the weight that I failed at my powerlifting meet.

I worked up to 215, and got it easily. Next, I decided to go for 230. I was terrified, but I got it, and it was actually pretty smooth. Then Matt talked me into jumping to 240, and I was like, well, why not? If I fail, at least I got a 5 pound PR! 240 was a super ugly grinder, and Matt touched my waist, so I don't really know if I can count that... but I'm still pretty proud of myself for pushing through and standing it up! After that I decided to drop down and try for 235, which I got, even though it was a grinder, too. But hey, that's a ten pound PR, and I'm pretty happy about it! :)

Here is my set at 230:



And here is 235 after attempting 240:

Next up was bench day.....which was not so great. I worked up to 140, and then failed at 145, my previous one rep max. Yeah, I was disappointed, but that's just the way it goes sometimes! Can't let it get me down. My goal is to get a 150 bench some day, so I'm not gonna give up!

Saturday was deadlift max day. My current one rep max was 260, and I was hoping for at least a five pound PR. I'd definitely be happy with that. I felt pretty good about deadlifts, but still a little scared since I haven't lifted CLOSE to my max in a long time.  I worked up to 250, and that felt strong, so I jumped up to 270 and got it! It was so exciting. PRs make me so happy!

So what's next for me?

Well, I'm going to go back to a hypertrophy focus for a while. It was a nice change following a structured program and focusing on strength. Now it's back to working on building these quads and glutes. I've been eating more and actually have put on a couple pounds, so that should help!

I'm going to go a couple weeks without following a plan, but after than I'm going to do this 8 week leg program by Brandon Lilly that I found on the Girls Who Powerlift website. I like that it incorporates powerlifting but also some higher rep bodybuilding work, which I think will be a good change for me since I rarely go higher than 10 reps.  The only thing I'm going to change is the 100 rep ankle weight leg curls, since I don't have ankle weights. I'll probably do some glute ham raises or extra glute isolation work instead.

My plan for upper body days is to add back in some Olympic lifting, since I enjoy it and haven't done it in a while. One upper body day will be a strength focus with low volume, and the other day will be more of a hypertrophy focus. I'm not concerned with building up my upper body, so really those workouts are will just be doing things I enjoy. I also am going to add in some glute work and sled drags after one upper body day, and Farmer's walks after one of the leg days for a little conditioning and grip work.

Here is what my plan will look like for the next couple months:

UPPER BODY 1 MONDAY
UPPER BODY 2 FRIDAY
BB CLEAN AND PRESS 3-5X5
BB SNATCH 3X5
BENCH PRESS 5X5-8
1 ARM PUSH PRESS 4X8
SUPERSET WITH
T-BAR ROW 5X6-8
PULLUPS 4XAMRAP GOAL 25 REPS
AB WHEEL 4X8-12
CABLE ROW  3X10-12
SUPERSET WITH
PULL-APARTS X50
DB CHEST PRESS 3X10-12
SLED DRAGS + GLUTE WORK(HIP THRUSTS, BAND WALKS, REVERSE HYPERS)
FACE PULLS 3X12-15 SS W/

EZ BAR CURLS 3X10-12
LOWER BODY 1 WEDNESDAY
LOWER BODY 2 SATURDAY
SQUATS 3X6-10
DEADLIFTS- HEAVY TRIPLE
DEFICIT DEADS 12X1 20-30 SECOND REST W/60%
WIDE STANCE DEADLIFT 2X8 60%
SHORT STRIDE LUNGES 3X15 REST 45 SECONDS
RDL 3X12
LEG PRESS WIDE 4X15
LEG PRESS NARROW 5X10
LEG CURLS OR GHR X50

*FARMER’S WALKS
LEG CURLS OR GHR X50 REPS
BAND OR CABLE ABDUCTIONS +CALVES
BAND OR CABLE ABDUCTIONS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

Why?

Why? Why do I care so much?  Why do I make sure they brush their teeth at night so that they don't get cavities? Why do I spend my own money to buy them clothes, toys and decorate their rooms, among other things?  Why do I do 5,000 loads of laundry a week to make sure they have clothes to wear to school? Why do I make sure they go to church on Sundays so that they'll be raised to know about Jesus? Why do I try to give them chores and responsibilities so that they will turn out to be decent human beings? Why do I read them a bedtime story at night, even when I'm exhausted? Why do I clean up after them constantly and cook for them and try to always have healthy snacks and food on hand? Why do I go to their sports games and practices, just to feel like the odd man out standing there awkwardly with their bio mom? Why do I give 100% of myself and make so many sacrifices for children I didn't birth? Only to be insulted and told hurtful things? To be made to feel like I'm