Skip to main content

Training Plan & Workouts of the Week

So I think I've settled on a training plan for the next couple months. It's nothing crazy, just going back to a heavy upper and lower day with reps in the 3-8 range, and then a hypertrophy upper and lower day with reps in the 8-12 range. 

Right now my focus is on increasing bench press and deadlifts. Also upping my calories, as I'm really going to try to put on a few pounds! The holidays got me off my regular eating schedule, so I actually lost a couple pounds. :/

I seriously don't know why, but when it has come to writing workouts for myself, I just suddenly went brain dead. Like every time I went to write one out, I just got anxiety and couldn't do it. It's the strangest thing. Actually, I really just think it's because I have all these workouts that I've printed out, and it was just too much to choose from.  I've considered doing 531 or Uncaged again, PHUL, PHAT, Layne Norton's PH3, Tony Venuto's TNB-28, and many more...But I'd find something "wrong" with all of them.

The thing is, there is not going to be a perfect program out there that has everything I want in it. There's just not. So I just gotta do SOMETHING. Like I know how to write out workouts and have been doing it for myself for 10 years, but I just came to the point recently where I felt like I needed something different. But really, it probably is best for me to write my own workouts that are specific to my goals anyway.  I think after this I may do 531 for hardgainers.

I'm sure I'll change a few things here and there as I go, but this is the tentative plan for the next 4-6 weeks:


Workout A1 MON
Workout B1 WED
Workout A2 FRI
Workout B2 SAT
1)Bench Press
3 x 3-5
1)Power Clean
3 x 5
1)Pullups or Inverted rows
3 x 8-12
1)Squat/pause squat
3 x 8-12
2a)Weighted Pull Up
3-5 x 5
2)Box squats??
3-5x5
2)DB Overhead Press
3 x 8-12
2)Glute-Ham Raise
3 x 8-12
2b)Push Press
3-5 x 3-5
3)Deadlift
(program)
3a)Seated Cable Row
3 x 8-12
3)Leg Press
3 x 8-12
3)Pendlay row
3-5 x 5-8
4)BB Step up
3 x 6-8
3b)DB 1 arm chest press
3 x 8-12
4a)Walking lunge
3 x 8-12
4a)Dips 
 2-3x5-8
5a)Standing Calf Raise
5 x 8
4a)Alternating
Dumbbell Curl
3 x 8-12
4b)Back extensions
3x12-15
4b)Hanging leg raises
3x8-10

+Glutes-pullthroughs/band walks
5b)Ab wheel
3x8-10

6)Farmer's walks? or sled drags
4b)Dumbbell Triceps Extension
3 x 8-12


5)Rear delt exercise 3x12-15
5a)Seated Calf Raise
3 x 15


5b)Band glute bridges



Upper strength            Lower strength           Hypertrophy upper          Hypertrophy Lower


Depending on how I feel after the workouts, I may add in some sled drags or farmer's walks at the end and some extra glute stuff just like I've been doing on my first upper body day. I don't know yet how my hip flexors are going to be feeling with squats, so I may have to modify things if I can't do them.

Since I took a week off I'm easing back into things slowly, meaning that nothing is max weight. I'm keeping a couple reps in the tank on every lift and will add weight or reps each week. I plan on sticking with this heavy/hypertrophy split for a few months then switching it up again. I'm going to follow a deadlift program that I followed a while back because it worked well for me then...so lets hope it will work again!

MONDAY UPPER BODY HEAVY
1)Bench press: 105x3x5 (75% max)
2a)Neutral wide grip pullups: 0x8/10x3x6
2b)Barbell push press: 95x3x5
3)Pendlay row: 95x4x5
4a)Dips: 12.5x2x10
4b)Hanging leg raises: 3x8
5a)Band glute bridge: 2x30
5b)Plate carries: 3x20ish seconds
6)Band walks: 3x15/leg

WEDNESDAY LOWER BODY HEAVY
I was not sure how front squats were going to be...but even with a low weight, they bothered my back. So I guess no more front squats. Everything else was good, even though I think step ups are stupid....I'm gonna stick with them! 

1)Hang power cleans: 95x3x5
2)Front squat: 95x5/105x2x5 (was hoping I could do these, but they still hurt my back)😢
3)Conventional deadlifts: 185x5x5 (70% max)
4)Step up: 25sx8/45x8/55x2x8
5a)Ab rollouts to wall: 3x8
5b)Standing calf raise: 5x8
6a)Seated calf raise: 3x12
6b)Seated abductions: 3x25-30

FRIDAY UPPER BODY HYPERTROPHY
1a)Inverted row underhand grip: 3x12
1b)Seated overhead dumbbell press: 30x3x10
2a)Cable pulldown: 12/10/10
2b)Single arm DB chest press: 35x3x12
3a)DB alternating curls: 10/12/12
3b)Cable overhead extensions: 3x12
4)Bentover lateral raises: 3x12\

SATURDAY LOWER BODY HYPERTROPHY
Hip flexors were feeling better, but still not 100%, so I didn't want to push it this week with squats. I probably should have stuck with 135 this week, but my pride got the best of me. I just miss squatting heavy...even though it's only been a few weeks. I was sore after this one!

1)Barbell squat:135x8/155x8/155x6/135x8
2)Glute ham raise: 0x12/10x3x12
3)Leg press: 3x12
4a)Back extensions: 40x3x12
4b)Goblet split squat: 40x3x10
5a)Calf press on leg press: 4x10
5b)Clams w/band: 2x20/frog pumps w/band: 2x30
6)Seated calf raise: 3x12



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

Why?

Why? Why do I care so much?  Why do I make sure they brush their teeth at night so that they don't get cavities? Why do I spend my own money to buy them clothes, toys and decorate their rooms, among other things?  Why do I do 5,000 loads of laundry a week to make sure they have clothes to wear to school? Why do I make sure they go to church on Sundays so that they'll be raised to know about Jesus? Why do I try to give them chores and responsibilities so that they will turn out to be decent human beings? Why do I read them a bedtime story at night, even when I'm exhausted? Why do I clean up after them constantly and cook for them and try to always have healthy snacks and food on hand? Why do I go to their sports games and practices, just to feel like the odd man out standing there awkwardly with their bio mom? Why do I give 100% of myself and make so many sacrifices for children I didn't birth? Only to be insulted and told hurtful things? To be made to feel like I'm