Skip to main content

Thursday Thoughts-Back to "Me"!

I had an epiphany. Well, okay, so it's nothing ground breaking, really, it's just I came to a realization, and now feel like I know what direction to take with my training.

So ya'll know that a few months back I came to a standstill in my training. I just felt lost with no set goals, and I was not even able to plan out my own workouts anymore because I would just doubt and second-guess myself.

I decided at that point to just take a break from heavy lifting and focus more on bodybuilding and hypertrophy. I had someone write me up a leg program to follow, since that's what I wanted to focus on, and that's what I've been doing for the past 3 or so months. I've been mostly doing a push and pull day for upper body and a quad and hamstring day for lower body, with reps in the 10-15 range.

Like I said in a previous post, I did enjoy the challenge, and it was fun to try something different...but what I learned during these last few months is that for me, physical results come secondary to enjoying my workouts and having fun

I realized(which, really, I knew all along)that I would much rather do things that make me FEEL amazing than make me LOOK a certain way. I would much rather do things that make me feel strong and fast and powerful and athletic. I realized that I do NOT enjoy bodybuilding workouts. I do not enjoy just doing high reps. I do not enjoy going to the gym and training with the sole purpose of changing my physique. 

Deep down, I knew all this, but I let self-doubt play tricks on me and mess with my head and make me think I was doing things all "wrong"...when really, I was doing exactly was was "right" for me all along.

So Monday I decided to just play around and have fun at the gym, and y'all-I really did have sooo much fun!  It's crazy what just a simple change in mindset can do. I didn't go in to set a PR or try to break down my muscle so that it will grow-I just did movement than made me feel good. It proved to me that this what I need to be doing. I love feeling like an athlete. I love doing heavier weight and lower reps.I love doing supersets and finishers and Olympic lifts and sled pushes. 

From here on out, I'm no longer going to worry about the "perfect" set and rep scheme or what's best for building muscle. I'm going to stay true to myself. I'm going back to doing what I enjoy!

For me, it's not about adhering to one specific training protocol, whether it's bodybuilding or CrossFit or powerlifitng, or whatever. I don't fit into any of those categories, and I don't believe you have to train one certain way to get results. You don't have to put yourself into a box. Branch out. Be different. Ignore how everyone says you're "supposed" to train or what's best. There is only one thing that is "best", and that's doing what makes YOU feel amazing.

Now, yes, if you have goals, you should be following a plan and focusing on progressive overload over time, especially if your goal is building muscle and getting stronger. You don't wanna just go in and "wing it" every workout. Have a training plan and stick to it. But it's okay to alternate periods of having a plan with just going in and having fun sometimes! Over the long run you should be getting stronger and challenging yourself with harder workouts, but my main point is- don't do something you don't enjoy just to get a certain look!

So my next phase will be going back to what I love. My powerlifting coach gave me a program to get stronger on the main lifts, but I love that it is also a well rounded plan with some bodybuilding stuff and conditioning worked in as well. The only thing I will add back in at some point is some explosive lifts and jumps. 

It feels awesome to get back to doing ME!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

Why?

Why? Why do I care so much?  Why do I make sure they brush their teeth at night so that they don't get cavities? Why do I spend my own money to buy them clothes, toys and decorate their rooms, among other things?  Why do I do 5,000 loads of laundry a week to make sure they have clothes to wear to school? Why do I make sure they go to church on Sundays so that they'll be raised to know about Jesus? Why do I try to give them chores and responsibilities so that they will turn out to be decent human beings? Why do I read them a bedtime story at night, even when I'm exhausted? Why do I clean up after them constantly and cook for them and try to always have healthy snacks and food on hand? Why do I go to their sports games and practices, just to feel like the odd man out standing there awkwardly with their bio mom? Why do I give 100% of myself and make so many sacrifices for children I didn't birth? Only to be insulted and told hurtful things? To be made to feel like I'm