Skip to main content

Venting

Just need to vent today, and it's my blog, so I can.

I posted something in the Team Capp page yesterday about life not being fun anymore without Matt. I thought I had created a space there where I could openly share my thoughts, good and bad, happy or sad, so I could share my journey and the reality of what I'm going through with others.

Well, someone said something about me being suicidal, and that just struck a nerve with me. Then I kept getting the "be happy" and "stay strong" and "keep smiling" and "it gets better" comments ...and you know what? Sometimes that's just annoying, and last night I couldn't take it anymore.

 As I've said before, sometimes you just want people to sit with you in your sadness and not try to offer you words of comfort. You just want your feelings heard and validated. You don't want to be told to stay strong, because every day we face life without our person, every day we wake up and put one foot in front of the other despite our grief and heartache, is being strong, and it's exhausting, and sometimes we just want a place to not be strong.

What I've found is that people are uncomfortable with grief. I truly think people would rather you put on a brave face than share how you're really feeling. They would rather you fake a smile, even if you're hurting inside.

The reality of it is, life isn't fun right now. Does that mean I'm suicidal? Of course not. I still get out and live life and laugh and have a good time with friends and family...but I don't have Matt there by my side. I don't have him to talk to and get his advice about things going on in my life. I don't have him to make me laugh every day, and it's lonely, and that is just NOT fun.

I was extra sensitive last night, and I responded to this person, explaining how being sad or expressing an emotion or a thought that I feel at that moment doesn't mean I'm suicidal. He goes on to tell me I'm attacking people and that Matt wouldn't want me to be like that. Seriously, dude??

Not only did I lose my best friend, but I lost my major source of income and the person who handled our finances. I have a house now to take care of and yard work and cars to keep up. I have to get a new job now to make enough money to support myself. And I have to do all this alone while also dealing with the emotional and physical exhaustion of grief. Because at the end of the day, everyone has their own busy lives...so it really is just all up to me.

And I'm doing it. I'm getting by, but it's not always easy. It's definitely not fun. Doing life without the person who made you laugh and smile every day isn't fun! I think I'm doing pretty well for having had my entire life turned upside down, for not ever having been on my own, for not having Matt there by my side to advise and encourage me. I think I'm doing pretty darn good under the circumstances! And I know Matt would be proud of me, for getting out there and doing hard things and living life despite the pain and heartache that I feel every single day. He would be proud.


Comments

  1. My respect for you is immense! My husband is my everything and you remind me of that everytime I read one of your posts. It almost scares me, and keeps me humble. My heart breaks along side of yours but knowing you have Jesus as your anchor is affirmation of how our Faith in God dictates everything. You inspire me with your strength and courage. Keep posting your feelings, they are who you are, and your beautiful.💖

    ReplyDelete
  2. People have no concept on what they should say and shouldn't say. I cannot imagine what you're going through. You lost your other half,your best friend and the love of your life so why do people think that,that would make you suicidal? It's ridiculous. I'm sorry that people are saying things like that to you. It just sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... I'm so sorry you were attacked that way. I honestly can't even imagine what you are going through. Yes, you are incredibly brave for trusting in God, but that doesn't mean that you can't be sad, or mourn. Sending you so many prayers as you continue on this journey..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

One Year...

One year ago today... the day it all changed. It was a Tuesday. I got the call from Matt around 3:00. I remember I was sitting at the computer at home. Matt told me that he was at the hospital, and that Bob Scott, his boss, had driven him there. Then he said those 4 words I never expected to hear: “The tumor came back.”  My heart stopped. Matt had gone in that morning for an MRI, as he has done numerous times in the past 10 years. He was now at the point where he had an MRI just yearly now, and that one was done in February, which showed that everything was fine. There was no sign of tumor growth, which had been the case for the last 10 years, praise God. But because Matt had been having some seizure activity for the last few months, they suggested he go in for another MRI in July. We then decided we should move up the appointment, because he had been having a headache every day for the past week. Good thing we did.... After I hung up with Matt,  I immediately broke down. I