Skip to main content

In a Wave

I’ve had a rough week since getting back from Florida. I’ve just been so emotional and sad and felt like I’ve wanted to cry all the time. I miss Matt SO much I can’t stand it sometimes. My heart hurts. My brain hurts.

I am definitely being hit by one of those grief waves right now....
But yet, you have to go on living, and hide it, and pretend like you’re okay. You cry in the shower, in the car, and in your bed at night...and that's just your new norm.

When people ask how I’m doing these days, I don’t even know how to answer anymore. I don’t even know what to say. They say time makes it better, but I feel like the more time that has passed, the more I miss him.

Sometimes it feels like my life with Matt was all just a dream. Maybe that’s weird, I don’t know, but that’s what it feels like. Maybe because the memories are hazy. Maybe because this last year seemed to last forever, that strange in-between world that separated my two lives. But it was real. It was real. He was real. He was here. That WAS my life. I just don’t want it to fade away in my mind...I don’t want it to feel like a dream!

Most of the time I think about all the good times and memories, and I picture Matt when he was healthy and vibrant and full of life...but sometimes I can’t help but think about the last year and everything that happened. I couldn’t fall asleep the other night, because I was just lying awake with thoughts and images running through my mind. When you go through something like that, watching a loved one slowly die, it’s not something you just suddenly forget about. It was a traumatic experience, and I can’t help that it comes into my mind sometimes.

I can’t help but wonder sometimes how it had to feel for Matt, when he couldn’t express himself, how it must have felt for him to go from an being amazing athlete to not being able to walk and then becoming completely helpless and dependent on others for everything . I just can’t imagine. I hated it for him. I hated it. I hate that I couldn’t know what he was feeling or thinking, and it just hurts my heart that he had to go through that. Was he scared? Was he worried? Was he at peace at the end? These are the questions that haunt me sometimes. Not often, thankfully, but sometimes.

And it's weird, but I find myself saying out loud to him/myself, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry." And I don't know what I'm saying sorry for... Maybe I'm sorry he had to go through what he did? I'm sorry things turned out the way they did? I'm sorry I couldn't do more to keep him here? I don't know. I don't why I say that....

I just hope I brought some joy and happiness to him in those days. That's all I wanted. I told him I would’ve been his caretaker forever, and I would have. I would go through it all again to have him here with me. I SO badly want to kiss his face every day! But I know that’s selfish, because he wasn’t really living life in the state he was in. And I know that none of it matters now, because now he’s happy and free and able to run and smile and talk and laugh. Sometimes that brings me comfort...but sometimes it doesn’t. I'm happy he's happy, but I'm sad he's not with me.

I guess all that matters is that for him, it’s all over. He now knows nothing but pure joy. He has the answers to the things he didn’t understand here on earth. But I don’t. I’m still left here with the memories of his sickness and the pain of losing him. I'm thankful that he's home, though. I truly am. He's the lucky one! I just miss him so, SO much.

“Now we see things imperfectly, like puzzling reflections in a mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely.”  1 Corinthians 13:12

Comments

  1. I have written out three things and erased them, trying to think of what to say, but I know there are no words. So, I'll just leave with this... I am continuing to pray for you. May God give you the strength you need when you feel like you have none, may you feel the peace of Jesus. May you sense His presence when you are feeling alone. May He be with you through every tear you shed and hold your broken heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank sure. I truly appreciate all the prayers. I need them!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

Why?

Why? Why do I care so much?  Why do I make sure they brush their teeth at night so that they don't get cavities? Why do I spend my own money to buy them clothes, toys and decorate their rooms, among other things?  Why do I do 5,000 loads of laundry a week to make sure they have clothes to wear to school? Why do I make sure they go to church on Sundays so that they'll be raised to know about Jesus? Why do I try to give them chores and responsibilities so that they will turn out to be decent human beings? Why do I read them a bedtime story at night, even when I'm exhausted? Why do I clean up after them constantly and cook for them and try to always have healthy snacks and food on hand? Why do I go to their sports games and practices, just to feel like the odd man out standing there awkwardly with their bio mom? Why do I give 100% of myself and make so many sacrifices for children I didn't birth? Only to be insulted and told hurtful things? To be made to feel like I'm