Skip to main content

Things People Say That Are Not Helpful to Those Grieving

I know people think they are helping when they say these things, but they actually are not helpful. I just cringe when I hear them.

"You're still young"
So being young makes it hurt less somehow? When people say that all it feels like is that they're just dismissing my pain. The thing is, knowing that I may find love again doesn't help right now because I chose HIM-I wanted him, not anyone else. It hurts to think about someone else when all I wanted was him. He was supposed to be my forever. Not someone else. Being young doesn't mean it's any less hard to lose the love of your life, your best friend, your whole world.

"He's always watching over you/he's your guardian angel"
This doesn't bring me comfort, because I don't feel this way. I don't know if it's true or not, but I don't want to make up stories to make myself feel better. Also, the bible says we do NOT become angels in Heaven, so no, he is not my guardian angel.

"At least you have the memories"
Yes, and I'm thankful for memories. But memories don't compare to his physical presence. It doesn't make me miss him less. It actually makes me sad that all he is now is a memory and that we will never make new memories.

"He's always with you"
Yes, I know he'll always be "with" me in my heart, but it's NOT the same.  I want to see him and hear him and touch him and hug him and kiss him. That's what I want. What hurts is not having that. What I miss is having him here beside me, physically.

"Matt would want you to smile and be happy." First of all, you don't know what Matt would want. And secondly, he would want me to feel whatever I feel. And just because I'm sad and miss him, doesn't mean I never smile or never feel happy!

"Be thankful"
Okay, well, I am thankful. Every day. But that doesn't cancel out pain and sadness. You can be thankful and still miss someone and still grieve and still hurt. They co-exist.

"Keep your chin up"
This one really bothers me. The problem with our culture is this-people feel like they can't express pain and sadness, so they push it down and suffer in silence and pretend they're fine when they're not. No. It's okay to have pain and to not always be happy, and we should be able to express that. It's okay to not always feel like you have to "keep your chin up".  People need a place to be able to fall apart and let down their guard and not be strong. When you've had your life ripped out from under you, every day that you get up and choose to live and not curl up in a ball requires a ton of strength and effort, and it's exhausting. So being constantly told to keep smiling and to keep your chin up isn't helpful when all you really want sometimes is to be able to fall apart.

So what should you say then? How can you help someone who's grieving? First of all, just let them feel what they feel. Let them have a safe place to express themselves, without jumping in to "fix" it, without trying to cheer them up. They don't want their pain lessened-they simply want to be heard. Expressing pain and sadness is therapeutic and healing-we need that. But if we're constantly being told we shouldn't feel the way we feel, all we will do is suppress it, and that's not healthy in the long run.

I know it seems like, well, if I can't say any of those things, what can I even say? What's the "right" thing to say? Well, just know that we know it's awkward, and we know you're trying and that you mean well.

So what you can do is listen. Let us know you're there if we want to talk. Let us take the lead, and agree with us that yeah, this really sucks. You don't need to be a cheerleader. Suppress that urge to try and "fix" our pain.

Tell us you're proud of us and that we're doing a good job.

Check in on us. Just simply say you're thinking about us, praying for us, and ask how our day went every now and then. And keep checking in, even after the first few months. We still need that at 6 months, a year, and beyond, I'm sure. Even if it seems we are doing "fine", even if it seems like we are carrying on with life- keep checking in.

Ask us out for coffee or lunch/dinner. Even if we turn you down, keep asking. It feels good to know that people still care and sometimes it's just nice to get out and do something with a friend, even if we don't talk about "it".

Do something for us to help lessen our load or brighten our day-and don't ask what we want, just do it. Come over and mow the lawn. Babysit the kids for a night. Send a care package or a gift card or flowers. Grief is exhausting and makes it hard to always get everything done that needs to be done, and I can't imagine how it must be with children in the mix.

Losing someone you love, and especially being widowed, can be a very lonely road. Even when you have a good support system, even when you're surrounded by people, it's lonely. These little things can help you feel less alone and make you feel like people do genuinely care.

Comments

  1. If you need someone to talk to I know you have other people but I'm not working so if you want to swap senior pup stories or book reccomendations I'm not working til Saturday.

    ReplyDelete

  2. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

Why?

Why? Why do I care so much?  Why do I make sure they brush their teeth at night so that they don't get cavities? Why do I spend my own money to buy them clothes, toys and decorate their rooms, among other things?  Why do I do 5,000 loads of laundry a week to make sure they have clothes to wear to school? Why do I make sure they go to church on Sundays so that they'll be raised to know about Jesus? Why do I try to give them chores and responsibilities so that they will turn out to be decent human beings? Why do I read them a bedtime story at night, even when I'm exhausted? Why do I clean up after them constantly and cook for them and try to always have healthy snacks and food on hand? Why do I go to their sports games and practices, just to feel like the odd man out standing there awkwardly with their bio mom? Why do I give 100% of myself and make so many sacrifices for children I didn't birth? Only to be insulted and told hurtful things? To be made to feel like I'm