Skip to main content

I Don't Need Advice

Most people don't talk about grief, and that's why it's so misunderstood...but I'm talking about it. We don't talk about it because we know that if we are truly honest about how we really feel, people will think something is wrong with us or tell us we need therapy or give us advice about how we should be handling things...because that's just what people do. So we keep it inside and push it away and pretend that we're just fine and dandy.

But I'm not afraid to share the reality of what it's like to be a widow. It is frustrating, because as soon as you share your heart and talk about how hard it really is, people's natural reaction is to try to fix you. You get the advice about what to do with your grief and the "Matt wouldn't want you to be sad" comments and the "he's still with you" comments and the comments about finding peace and joy in God. People truly just do not get that we don't want any of that. All we need is to be heard. To know what we're feeling is normal and that nothing is wrong with us. We don't want or need advice. It makes us not want to share our true feelings. I know people are just trying to help, but I'm trying to educate people on what is actually helpful and what isn't.
Another thing people don't get is that we have good and bad days and that our emotions and moods are all over the place and change from minute to minute sometimes. People see us being happy and having fun and think we must be fine and are moving on. They don't see the sadness and the struggle we carry every day, even when we have those moments of happiness. And on the other hand, when we share something we're feeling on a bad or more emotional day they think we're stuck in our grief and need to move on or get help. They think that if we share how sad we are that it means we never have happiness, which isn't true at all. As I've said many times on here, happiness and sadness co-exist. We can have deep joy and deep sorrow at the same time. We can have peace and joy in Jesus but still feel sadness and pain.

I think I'm doing pretty well with all that I've lost, with my whole world being turned upside down, but I'm not going to pretend everything is just fine. I actually do have many  moments of happiness. I don't sit around and mope and cry all day. I get out and have fun. I've actually met a guy I've been hanging out with who I really like....but the fact is I'm still grieving and will forever. Unless you've lost a spouse you won't get how brutal is really is. You can't understand it. I've been through multiple losses and they don't compare to losing my husband.

This life is weird and confusing, but I'm navigating my way through it and doing the best I can, which is a LOT better than I would have ever thought a year ago. I have had many good days mixed in with the bad days, so I know I'm gonna be okay.  I'm still a work in progress. And I'm going to continue sharing my story, my struggles, the good times, and the bad times. But I don't need or want to be fixed, I don't need advice, and I don't need to be cheered up. I just miss my husband.


Comments

  1. Dear Lindsay, my heart aches for you, I admire your strength and bravery through what is an unimaginably heartbreaking process. I watched my mom go through this after my dad died. Nothing prepares you for it and as you said you don't need fixing or advice. What helped her and me was our faith in God and his unending love, knowing that even in the midst of the pain there was a plan and his hand is always on us. I pray that he will strengthen and comfort you during this time. Know that your grief and tears have not gone unheard and God will continue to keep you as you trust him and put one foot in front of the other. I don't usually comment or respond to posts such as this. I don't know you but somehow I felt lead to leave this message. Your husband seemed like a wonderful person committed to you and the Lord and I hope you will continue to take comfort in knowing that you will see him again. Stay strong and encouraged beautiful woman of purpose.

    Blessings from Barbados
    xo
    Alix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My faith and hope in Jesus is all that has gotten me through this. Thank you so much.

      Delete
  2. Lindsay. I just wanted to thank you for being brave enough to share your heart like this. You are the kind of person I would love to know if I ever went through something like this. You are kind and understanding, and you are open about the pain. You're so right, it's a weird mixture of joy and sadness. Praying your heart feels extra close to Jesus in the hard moments, and that you can joyfully embrace the good ones. Thanks for keeping it real. It's refreshing to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much . I just want to be real, and hopefully help others who are going through this.

      Delete
  3. Nice post it was great article thanks for sharing post

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

Why?

Why? Why do I care so much?  Why do I make sure they brush their teeth at night so that they don't get cavities? Why do I spend my own money to buy them clothes, toys and decorate their rooms, among other things?  Why do I do 5,000 loads of laundry a week to make sure they have clothes to wear to school? Why do I make sure they go to church on Sundays so that they'll be raised to know about Jesus? Why do I try to give them chores and responsibilities so that they will turn out to be decent human beings? Why do I read them a bedtime story at night, even when I'm exhausted? Why do I clean up after them constantly and cook for them and try to always have healthy snacks and food on hand? Why do I go to their sports games and practices, just to feel like the odd man out standing there awkwardly with their bio mom? Why do I give 100% of myself and make so many sacrifices for children I didn't birth? Only to be insulted and told hurtful things? To be made to feel like I'm