Skip to main content

Year Two

I've heard that in some ways year two is harder than the first year. And so far I'm finding that to be true...just in a different way. 
Year one is all about surviving. You're pretty much somewhat in a state of shock that whole first year.  Even after months and months have gone by, it still sometimes just doesn't feel real. Your life is on pause for a little while, even though you keep living because you have to. Life feels surreal.
Then the one year anniversary comes...you made it whole year without your person, when you never thought you could. One day at a time, you survived.  Now you're in the second year, and this is when you realize that you want to start feeling "better", whatever that even means, or if that's even possible. You don't really know how to even do that...but you do know that life must go on and that you don't want to just go through the motions anymore. You know that you're tired of feeling sad and lonely all the time. You know that you can't keep living like this.
Year two is so different. Year two is about learning how to move forward. It's a lot of processing things, SO many things-this new person you've become, this new life you've been forced to live. It's fear and uncertainty about the future...it's anxiety and depression wanting to pull you back in and make you think you'll never find happiness again, and you sometimes just getting tired of fighting it and wanting to give in. It's the sadness that starts to turn into anger...
It's being exhausted from the whole past year just trying to survive and put one foot in front of the other. It's wanting to be done with the grief, but at the same time knowing that it's there and it's not going away no matter how much you tried to distract yourself. In year one you just did whatever you could to cope and get through the days, and you clung to excitement and fun and whatever you could find to feel something besides sadness. But you can only do that for so long, and eventually you have to learn how find happiness and joy again in the everyday mundane. 
It's learning how to move forward and live on, while at the same time still mourning the past and not wanting to let go. It's still missing your spouse so freaking much, and being sad that the memories are starting to fade and that sometimes it feels like it was all a dream. 
I have happy moments, and for that I'm so thankful. But I'm still coming to terms with not having a husband and my life as I knew it being gone and knowing that I will never be or feel the same again. I'm ready for something new, but at the same time I'm scared to death, wondering when it's all going to end and come crashing down.
But it's also still holding on to hope, that tiny shred of hope...the hope that one day things will be okay. That maybe one day when someone asks how you're doing you'll be able to actually say that you're good.

Comments


  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

Why?

Why? Why do I care so much?  Why do I make sure they brush their teeth at night so that they don't get cavities? Why do I spend my own money to buy them clothes, toys and decorate their rooms, among other things?  Why do I do 5,000 loads of laundry a week to make sure they have clothes to wear to school? Why do I make sure they go to church on Sundays so that they'll be raised to know about Jesus? Why do I try to give them chores and responsibilities so that they will turn out to be decent human beings? Why do I read them a bedtime story at night, even when I'm exhausted? Why do I clean up after them constantly and cook for them and try to always have healthy snacks and food on hand? Why do I go to their sports games and practices, just to feel like the odd man out standing there awkwardly with their bio mom? Why do I give 100% of myself and make so many sacrifices for children I didn't birth? Only to be insulted and told hurtful things? To be made to feel like I'm