Skip to main content

"Health Foods" You Shouldn't Be Eating


When I first started trying to eat healthy about 5 years ago, the very first thing I did was give up fast food, soft drinks and sweets-all the obvious things that I knew were bad for me. I started eating things like Lean Cuisine meals, protein bars, granola bars, baked chips, reduced fat crackers, diet soft drinks, flavored yogurt, fat free hotdogs,etc...all those things that sound like they are good for you....but really are not.

At the time, I thought I was eating really healthy. The thing that I didn't realize was that I was still eating too many processed foods. Even though they may have been fat free or sugar free, they were not the healthiest choicest because of all the artificial ingredients that they put into those foods to make them taste good. I didn't know back then about high fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oils, and artificial sweeteners being bad for you.

What I didn't realize is that the key is to focus not on sugar free or fat free "diet" foods, but on foods that are natural and have minimal ingredients. Things like lean meats, nuts, fruits, vegetables, fish, eggs, etc. All of those things only have ONE ingredient. They don't need a label on them saying, "Fat free" or "Sugar free" or "Natural"! Usually, if something is fat free it is full of sugar and vice versa.

Over the past few years, I have slowly taken those foods out of my diet. No more granola bars, no more Lean Cuisines, no more sugar free pudding cups, no more reduced fat Pringles! Those are NOT healthy foods. My diet now revolves around lean meats(chicken, turkey, tuna, lean beef), eggs, nuts, oats, Ezekiel bread, vegetables, fruits, and some dairy. I also have a protein shake twice a day for the extra protein, since my goal right now is on building as much muscle as possible. I don't eat anything that comes in a box(besides my Kashi cereal) or anything that says, "fat free" or "sugar free".

There are still some things I am working on changing in my diet. Protein shakes are controversial because MOST of them do have artificial sweeteners in them. I also eat a yogurt called "Carbmaster" from Kroger that is low in sugar, high in protein, BUT does have artificial sweeteners and other ingredients that are not the best for your health. (I hope to be able to transition to Greek Yogurt at some point, but I just can't do it yet!)

So if you are trying to lose weight or just be healthy(which is my main goal), just remember to focus on eating foods that GROW, or that have a mom and dad! Give up the granola bars, flavored yogurts, "100 calorie" snack packs, most cereals, frozen dinners, sugar-free fat-free pudding cups, and fat free salad dressings, among other things.

Another things to remember is that not all fat is bad for you. When most people go on a "diet" they completely eliminate fat, which is not healthy and can actually go against your fat loss efforts. Actually, you NEED healthy fats in your diet from foods such as almonds, walnuts, seeds, avocadoes, fish, and olive oil. Of course you don't want to eat fatty, greasy foods like bacon or sausage, but don't be scared to eat a handful of nuts or use a salad dressing made with olive oil.

Check out this article for some other "health foods" that aren't really so healthy:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22915259/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/

Comments

  1. Interesting blog. It would be great if you can provide more details about it. Thanks you.

    Best Health Foods

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

Why?

Why? Why do I care so much?  Why do I make sure they brush their teeth at night so that they don't get cavities? Why do I spend my own money to buy them clothes, toys and decorate their rooms, among other things?  Why do I do 5,000 loads of laundry a week to make sure they have clothes to wear to school? Why do I make sure they go to church on Sundays so that they'll be raised to know about Jesus? Why do I try to give them chores and responsibilities so that they will turn out to be decent human beings? Why do I read them a bedtime story at night, even when I'm exhausted? Why do I clean up after them constantly and cook for them and try to always have healthy snacks and food on hand? Why do I go to their sports games and practices, just to feel like the odd man out standing there awkwardly with their bio mom? Why do I give 100% of myself and make so many sacrifices for children I didn't birth? Only to be insulted and told hurtful things? To be made to feel like I'm