Skip to main content

Workout Plan & New Goals

As I reflect more on my powerlifting meet, I've thought of a few things I'd do differently for my next one:
 
*Start heavier for squats, or at least go heavier on my second attempt to a weight closer to my max, so at least I can put a decent number on the board.
*Figure out the sleep situation!! I don't know if that means taking something to help me sleep, or kicking my snoring husband out! ;)
*Keep track of my calories and make sure to up them consistently, getting the same on training and rest days. I was not as diligent about as I should have been. I thought I could keep eating the same as I have been, or slightly up my carbs, but the fact of the matter is that I needed MORE to support all the heavy lifting I was doing.
*Not do so many max/near max effort singles the last month of training. The only thing I can think of for my strength going down on bench that last month is that my CNS was fried. 
*Keep in my farmer's walks and finishers. I cut back on my finishers thinking it may interfere with my strength, but that obviously was not the case. Heavy prowlers, kb swings, battle ropes, and Farmer's walks for a few minutes at the end of my workouts isn't going to negatively effect my strength, and in fact, may do the opposite.
*Include cleans, snatches, and/or box jumps. My program for the meet did not include so many of the exercises that I had been doing up until then. I had been doing an Olympic lift or box jumps before my main lift of the day, and my program didn't include that. I understand specificity, as in training for what you're going to be doing in competition... but I also believe that those explosive exercises can have a carryover to strength.

Who knows, maybe I'm totally off and it was simply lack of sleep and/or weight loss that caused my poor performance. All I know is I'm going to keep working hard at getting those weights up!

So I was looking through a notebook and found these goals I had written down a couple years back:

It's nice to know that I HAVE made progress and was able to cross off a few of them! That makes me excited to see what I can do in the next couple of years! 

Here are some new goals I'm going to start working towards: 

50lb db chest press x8
Overhead dumbbell press 45lbs x 5
Overhead barbell press 100 lbs
Deadlift 260
Paused bench 145 

Squat isn't on there simply because 225 is  hit or miss for me, so first I need to conquer THAT weight before moving up. 

I've had a hard time figuring out what to do next as far as my training goes. Do I keep the focus on powerlifting and strength, or on hypertrophy for a while? Should I continue with the same type of split or go back to what I was doing? I've decided to do a similar routine to what I was doing before but starting with lower body on Mondays. I don't want to over analyze things-as long as I put the effort into it, any training plan is going to work.

So here is my tentative workout plan for the next month or so. The focus is mainly on gaining muscle while maintaining my strength in the main lifts.  Since it has been 3 months since I've done over 3 reps for squat, bench or deadlift, it should definitely be interesting doing them for higher reps! But I do think it's good to do for a little while. In a few months, I plan on doing a more strength focused program, maybe give Wendler's 531 a try again. We shall see! 

Monday: Lower Body
1)Barbell Squats: 4x6-8

2)Box squats: 4x8
3)Romanian Deadlifts or Good Mornings: 3-4 x 6-8 
4)Hip thrusts: 3 x 10-12 reps 
5a)Standing Calf Raises: 3-4  x 10-20
5b)Hanging leg raises or Front lever: 4 x 12-15 reps 

Farmer's walks

Wednesday : Upper Body
1)Close Grip Bench Press: 3-4 x 6
2)T-bar Rows: 4x 6-8 reps 
3a)Incline DB chest Press: 3 x 10 
3b)Pull Ups: 4 x 6-8 
4a)DB lying tricep extensions: 2 x 12-15 reps 
4b)EZ Bar Curls: 3 x 12-15 reps 

Battle ropes & L-sits

Friday: Lower Body
1)Front Squats: 3-4 sets x 6-8 reps 
2)Trap bar or Sumo Deadlifts: 3-4 sets x 6-8 reps 
3)Walking Lunges: or Step Ups: 3 sets x 10-12 reps 
4a)GHR: 3 sets x 10-12 reps 
4b)Ab wheel: 4 sets x 12-15 reps 
5)Back extensions or reverse hypers 3x15
6)Single leg hip thrust: 3x10

 
Saturday: Upper Body
1)Overhead Press: 3-4 x 6-8 reps
2)One Arm Dumbbell Row: 3-4  x 6-8 Reps 
3a)Pushups or Dips: 3  x 10-12 reps
3b)Chin Ups: 3 x 8-10
4a)Lateral raises: 2-3  x 12-15 reps
4b)Reverse flyes or face pulls or pullaparts: 3 x 12-15 reps

Prowler pushes

Comments

  1. Ive been doing a Powerlifting workout..5x5 for 8 weeks now and Ive increased my lifts considerably..At least 10 lbs on my Main lifts... More then I EVER thought I could. Ive noticed a huge shift in my thinking. First regarding Food..I can finally just concentrate on eating to train and I don't feel guilty if I slip or cheat. Second on my weight, when I weigh I don't care that the scale isn't going down..I know I am strong and stay focused on making progression. Im extremely proud of myself for making changes. But with all this heavy lifting and Holidays Im feeling tired and sore and worn out. I think its time for a week off. I haven't had one since July. My question is this...I know its good for you to take time off and I know my body is needing it..but my head is saying NOOOOO..you have made progress keep going. Is it better to just take the week and chill..or do light weights, cardio? Im just not sure.
    Also what do I do after? Ive been looking at 4 and 5 day splits..I could also do your workout. How do you determine the best way to go? These two things are always hard for me to figure out..I feel like if I make a wrong decision then I may lose the gains Ive made...Physically and emotionally...Sorry I know this is long. Thanks for any advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome progress! I definitely recommend a week off if you're feeling beat up. YOu can do some easy cardio or light bodyweight stuff at home, or you could just drop the weights way down and still do some workouts at the gym. I think sometimes not even going into the gym is a great idea though. Ad far as what program to use, if what you're doing is working, you could just stick with that! Anything will work if you're training hard and focusing on progressive overload, especially if you're newer to lifting. I don't think you'll lose the gains you've made unless you just stop completely, so you don't have to worry!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

One Year...

One year ago today... the day it all changed. It was a Tuesday. I got the call from Matt around 3:00. I remember I was sitting at the computer at home. Matt told me that he was at the hospital, and that Bob Scott, his boss, had driven him there. Then he said those 4 words I never expected to hear: “The tumor came back.”  My heart stopped. Matt had gone in that morning for an MRI, as he has done numerous times in the past 10 years. He was now at the point where he had an MRI just yearly now, and that one was done in February, which showed that everything was fine. There was no sign of tumor growth, which had been the case for the last 10 years, praise God. But because Matt had been having some seizure activity for the last few months, they suggested he go in for another MRI in July. We then decided we should move up the appointment, because he had been having a headache every day for the past week. Good thing we did.... After I hung up with Matt,  I immediately broke down. I