Skip to main content

God's Will For Your Life

Most people want to know what God's will is for their lives. They want to know exactly what career they should choose, or how many kids they should have, or who they should marry, or where they should live, and so on. Well, I believe that God's will for our lives is actually revealed to us right in His Word, the Bible. I know you're thinking, "Okay, really? It does? Well, I haven't seen it!"

Yeah, the Bible doesn't ever come right out and say, "Choose this career", or, "Have this many kids", but it does give us insight and guidance as to what God wants from our lives. And while I do believe that God sometimes leads us to certain things, relationships, careers, etc., I also believe that as long as we are obeying His Word and choosing to follow Him, we will be in line with His will. The specifics are not as important as us drawing close to Him and letting Him work through us in our daily lives.


See, sometimes there is not just ONE thing out there for us-God gives us choices and then lets US decide. We can pray and ask that God will lead us and guide us and give us wisdom to make the right life decisions, but ultimately He can use us and work for good through whatever we choose, so long as it's not something that goes against His Word.


So rather than worrying and stressing over exactly what career we should have, or where we should live, or how many kids we should have, I think it would be better if we put our focus on the things that we know God wants out of our lives-the things that His Word reveals. If we do that, if we are faithful right where we are at THIS moment in time, and if we are pursuing a closer relationship with Him, then we will be in His will.


So while it may not give us specifics, here is what God's Word does reveal that He wants for our lives:


*He wants us to be holy
But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy. 1 Peter 1:15-16

What does it mean to be holy? Basically it means to be separate, or set apart. We are called to be different from the rest of the world, to not just go along with culture and what is accepted just because it's what everyone else is doing, or it's "politically correct".  Be different. Stand for what you believe in. Honor God, even if people don't "get it".


*He wants us to be joyful

 Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. 1 thess 5: 16-18
God doesn't want us to be sad, depressed, and anxious all the time. He wants us to live full, joyful, abundant lives so that we can be a light to those around us. The only way to experience TRUE, lasting joy is through a relationship with Jesus. That doesn't mean that you're happy all the time, or that you won't go through difficult times, but that you will have  a deep joy inside that isn't based on outward circumstances.

*He wants us to be thankful and content

 But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 1 Timothy 6:6-12

I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want... Philippians 4:12-13

When we give thanks to God, when we are content with all that He has done for us, and with all that He has given us, we bring glory to Him, and we also set a good example to those around us. Just the fact that God created us, that He sent His Son to die for us, that He has given us forgiveness and eternal life, should be enough for our lives to overflow with gratitude!
*He wants us to glorify Him with our lives
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. -1 Corinthians 10:31
I will give thanks to You, O Lord my God, with all my heart, And will glorify Your name forever. 

The point of our lives is to point to Him. All that we do, all that we say, should honor God and point others to Him. That's what we were made for.
*He wants us to bear fruit
When you produce much fruit, you are my true disciples. This brings great glory to my Father. John 15:8

Bearing fruit in our lives comes as a result of having a close relationship with God. Our our thoughts, our actions, and our words will begin to reflect His character as a result of spending time with Him in prayer and Bible study. This fruit in our lives, things such as love, joy, kindness, self-control, and peace, will prove to others that we are followers of Jesus.

*He wants us to become more like Christ

You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. Philippians 2:5
 For God called you to do good, even if it means suffering, just as Christ suffered for you. He is your example, and you must follow in his steps. 1 Peter 2:21

Jesus came to this earth to die for our sins, but also to set an example for us to follow. The goal of our lives is to strive to be more like Jesus and to follow in His steps.

*He wants us love and serve others

A new commandment I give you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you are to love one another. John 13:34

You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.  For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself."   Galatians 5:13-14


Following the example of Christ means we are to love and serve others. We are to love because God IS love, and without love for others, we can't call ourselves followers of Christ. The way we show that love is by putting it into action, by reaching out to those around us, helping those in need, and serving others. We honor God by loving His people.


Ultimately, if we are walking daily with Christ, praying, reading and then living out what His Word says, then we can be confident that we are in the will of God. If we surrender to Him and let Him have control, He will lead and guide our steps. He will give us the right desires. He will slowly change us into who He wants us to be. We don't  have to try to do these things all on our own-these things will begin to come naturally the more time we spend with Him.


Of course, we should pray about every decision that we make in our lives, whether big or small, and we should obey when we feel Him leading us in a certain direction. But whatever we do, wherever we go, the most important thing is impacting the lives of those around us for His glory. That is God's will.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Putting My Heart Out There

Hey guys. Here's where we're at right now: Matt finished his radiation treatments last week. Did they help? I don't know. He's sleeping a lot more. Having trouble chewing and swallowing. Not eating much. Not talking much, at least not in full sentences. It's just been a slow, steady decline for the last few months. I think it was really too late for radiation....But who knows, maybe it is delaying things. We went in last Tuesday for his infusion and talked with his neuro-oncologist about everything that we've been seeing with Matt, and he decided that we're at the point now where we should discontinue treatments...I feel like it's the right decision, even though it breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing else we can do. But I feel like we've done everything. All the supplements, the diet, the chemo, the radiation... Matt has fought hard. He never gave up hope. He kept the faith. He never complained through any of this. Not once did I hea
People always said That time would heal the pain But how can that be When mine still remains? The tears still fall At just the thought of you So I know that what they say Just can't be true As the years go by I miss you so much still  No matter how much time passes I know I always will How are you not here To ease my hurting heart? Never could I have imagined We would ever be apart My world has been shattered A piece of me is gone And all I can do is pray For strength to live on I know that one day soon I will see you again I just have to try to suffer through And make it until then

Why?

Why? Why do I care so much?  Why do I make sure they brush their teeth at night so that they don't get cavities? Why do I spend my own money to buy them clothes, toys and decorate their rooms, among other things?  Why do I do 5,000 loads of laundry a week to make sure they have clothes to wear to school? Why do I make sure they go to church on Sundays so that they'll be raised to know about Jesus? Why do I try to give them chores and responsibilities so that they will turn out to be decent human beings? Why do I read them a bedtime story at night, even when I'm exhausted? Why do I clean up after them constantly and cook for them and try to always have healthy snacks and food on hand? Why do I go to their sports games and practices, just to feel like the odd man out standing there awkwardly with their bio mom? Why do I give 100% of myself and make so many sacrifices for children I didn't birth? Only to be insulted and told hurtful things? To be made to feel like I'm